Wedding Saturday:any tips, all?

mvw photo

<p>I am going to be 2nd shooter in a wedding Saturday.</p>

<p>In fact I'll do part alone - we are splitting up in the morning and I'm shooting the groom and groomsmen before we get together again, then formal portraits, then ceremony, then celebration. This will be 15 hours work!</p>

<p>This is my first wedding. Sure, I am a professional and experienced newspaper/magazine event photographer, have done wedding workshops, and have all the equipment I could wish for, but still, any advice from you all is welcome. I want to deliver excellence.</p>

<p>I'll be using a 1D MkIII and a 1Ds MkIII. And have access to 100mm macro, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 35mm/1.4L, 50mm/1.4. And a 580EX2 and two 430EX speedlites, lightspheres, etc.</p>

<p>One question: how to carry what I will choose to use. I'll have no assistants, so I'll need to carry it all. My back is not 25 years old :) Suggestions? I usually bring the minimum and put it in a Domke bag, but this time I may need more (like how do I carry two bodies!)</p>

<p>Any quick tips (including "study this or that in the next few days!) to a first-time wedding shooter are very welcome.</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p>Simplify.</p>

<p>If you can securely leave some back-up gear in the vehicle, I'd only take the 24-70 and 70-200 ... have one camera with the 24-70 out at all times, and the second camera and 70-200 lens along with two flashes in the shoulder bag (which you can park on the ground whenever you have a chance). A belt with all that gear hanging on you for 15 hours sounds exhausting.</p>

<p>Later, if there is time retrieve the 35/1.4 from the vehicle to shoot some lower light reception stuff. </p>

<p>Carry one body, the 24-70, a bracket for the speedlight, and one speedlight. Just have the spares in your vehicle or some other location that can be accessed in short order. A 15 hour day you want to keep the equipment you physically care to a minimum.</p>

<p>I photograph most weddings with a 12-70 zoom and it works for 95% of the images. Only images taken from the back of the church require the long zoom and I try to avoid using that lens if possible. I also remove the batteries from the flash and use a HV pack instead (which is on my waist belt) to get some of the weight out of my hands. The bracket I use is very light weight. I want to absolutely minimize the amount of weight I have to carry in my hands.</p>

<p>Michael, it seems you're far too experienced to ask this question :-)</p>

<p>My approach would be to carry less while shooting, those pro bodies are heavy enough at it is. So one larger bag/case/backpack to transport stuff between the different locations (if you can lock it and attach it to something that's great) and a smaller bag to carry misc stuff while shooting.</p>

<p>I would shoot with one body (both slots) and carry whatever extras I might need to access fast (depending on the situation) in the smaller bag, for example a flash or a prime. Given new locations and situations I would change lenses, bodies and what I have in the bag I carry, the rest goes in the big bag.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pete: never too experienced. When you say you know it all, you stop learning. Not me. And in any case, if I have never shot a particular situation before, why would I say I know anything at all about it? :)</p>

<p>It is true that I have experience carrying stuff. I have six different bags (surrounding me as I type this). SDmall to large. Just looking for thre optimum here.</p>

<p>Yesterday I carried only one body instead of my usual two. So wouldn't you know: I end up near a huge fire and I get there before the fire trucks. I shot with my 35mm f/1.4 since that was on my camera. Yes, it made teh Hamilton Spectator (I freelance), here, http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/571868 - but wouldn't I have given anything to be able to draw my 1D MkIII with 70-200 out of the bag, where it usually lives!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For me, I need to choose how many cameras I want to carry on me. I will only carry two cameras on me if I have quick access to my "main" bag. The main bag has all my gear. If I am starting with the groom/groomsmen, I won't need all my gear and will likely carry one camera body and my Boda Bag (I love my Boda Bag). This bag has everything I might need such as a lens pen, extra memory cards and up to 3 different lenses should I need them.</p>

<p>Michael, let's say you go for minimum equipment. I'm not a Canon shooter so if you would carry both bodies and permanently put the 16-35 on the 1Dmk3 and the 70-200 on the 1Dsmk3 what scenes or scenarios would you be unable to cover (to your satisfaction)?</p>

<p>Since you won't have time to get any carrying gear, belts or straps, the best would be to go gunslinger style--two straps across the chest, or one across the chest and the other around the neck. Plus one light shoulder bag for a couple lenses only.</p>

<p>As for the rest of it, bring to each location only what you'll need, and keep everything else locked up in the card or in a rolling case you can cable lock to an immovable object (locked, of course). The car is a risk if anyone sees you going in and out of it with expensive gear, depending on where you have to park it.</p>

<p>First I would lose the 430 EX, there's no need for it. You'll only need the 100 macro to shoot a few details like rings flowers, close up of cake, so that can also stay in the car. I"m not so sure you'll need the 70-200 either. IF you do it will probably only be at the ceremony. </p>

<p>The only stuff you'll need on you all the time would be one body and a 24-70 with a flash. I'd maybe keep the 50 1.4 in a pocket, or hang the other body on the other shoulder.</p>

<p>For bags, I'd use a simple shoulder bag that can be set on the floor. Belt systems are too bulky, clunky and heavy. You cannot move about a reception wearing this gear. You don't want to be the guy who knocks over the cake. Photographer vests are also an ok option for carrying a backup flash, prime lenses, batteries, cards and such.</p>

<p>Think about how you are going to power the flash. I prefer a high voltage external battery to carrying lot's of AAs. I wear a mini Cycler on my belt or a larger one on a shoulder strap. One body around my neck and the backup gear in the bag on the floor (always in line of sight). Some backup gear in the trunk. </p>

<p>Do you have access to a rolling Pelican case? I have a lot of the same gear as you and I use a roller type of case, case on wheels. These cases are expensive so you may not wish to spend $300 to $500. Before I got the roller case I used a backpack and a shoulder pack.</p>

<p>I hardly ever use the 100mm macro. Your cameras are so good you can simply crop. You could also get by with taking 2 flashes instead of 3. By the way you have a really great assortment of cameras and lenses. Most likely you can do about 80% of the wedding with your 1dsmk3 and the 24-70.</p>

<p>Post a few images after your wedding.</p>

<p>Memory cards I have all named by cities I have worked in. Rome, Tripoli, Hong Kong, Baghdad, Lagos and so on.</p>

<p>Btw for a wedding I am tempted to shoot to CF and SD at the same time, even though that halves my space. Thoughts?</p>

<p>I'll use the macro at the groom's house only (get pics of shoes, rings, suit, tie, that sort of thing), then it can stay in the car. Groom's place: 1Ds with 50mm 1.4, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, and 35mm 1.4.</p>

<p>Then for portraits, 24-70.</p>

<p>Then for ceremony, wide and tele... 24-70 and 70-200 maybe.</p>

<p>Then for dance, maybe 24-70 again.</p>

<p>Any of that make sense?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The one thing I would want in the church would be a monopod. when you shooting slow times with flash to get a balance with ambient light its worth having with you. It depends how much light you have in the church? I would use the 24-70 and have a 50 and or 35mm prime at hand. If you shoot a few shots outside as the couple arrive and then make the move in the church before they come in make sure you have checked your ISO ect. its easy to forget the change from bright sunlight to the dark church. Here things move very quickly and you only have the one walk down the aisle. maybe it worth having one body setup for outside before the walk in and the second setup for inside the church so you don't forget when the pressure is on.</p>

Michael, keep it simple. As 2nd shooter, I would carry the 1DIII with 16-35L mounted and the 100 macro (at groom's). 580EX, all the rest in the car.

<p>At the reception, I'd keep well away from the main shooter and grab some nice candids with the 70-200 and some interesting wides.

<p>Incidentally, been to your website, love your work :) Trust your eye and your instincts and have a blast!

<p>Thanks - everyone, and Mark, thanks for those kind comments.<br>

I am [slightly nervously] greatly looking forward to this. And yes light sounds good - carrying 20lb for 14 hours, and I am not 20 anymore (not even 49 anymore :-) )</p>