Can not decide what to buy 503cx or 501c/m

stefan_feicke

<p>Hello all,<br>

I can not really come to a final decision what camera to buy. Either the 503cx or the 501c/m. I do not want to use any winder on the cam. Maybe later I want to start to work again with a flash. And in general I want to start with the "default" lens 80. Any comments or help would be really appreciated. I want to extend the amount of lenses as well. So any recommendation woudl be appreciated as well....<br>

the wishy washy Stefan ;-)</p>

<p>Personally, I'd say skip the 503cx and go for the 501c/m. The biggest practical advantage of the 501c/m is the gliding mirror system - which prevents vignetting in the finder with longer focal length lenses. This won't be an issue with the standard 80mm lens, but once you start getting longer focal length lenses, you'll start to see it. I own a 500 c/m, and can see the vignetting / top of the finder loss when I switch to the 150mm.</p>

<p>Unless you feel you might use an auto winder (which you've already said you don't plan to), stick with the 501 series instead of the 503.</p>

<p>Here's a few threads that might help make up your mind:<br /> http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00IpPz<br /> http://www.photo.net/equipment/hasselblad/501cm-kit-blumenthal<br /> http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Hasselblad500.html~mainFrame</p>

<p>I actually just made a decision to pick up a 501CM kit w/80mm CFE lens, and have not regreted it one bit. The only thing that I saw the 503 offering over the 501 was that it is newer, and has support for the Hasselblad flash units (it didn't seem like it supported anything like the Canon / Nikon speedlights, or even a remote trigger for something like the Alien Bees studio lights). All I wanted was already in the 501CM - trigger on the flash, small, lightweight (compared to the RZ67 kit!), good quality optics, and I even managed to find one in what I call "beyond mint" condition on that you-know-what auction site that functions as if it were brand new (manufactured in 2001).</p>

<p><em>

<blockquote>

<p>"Unless you feel you might use an auto winder (which you've already said you don't plan to), stick with the 501 series instead of the 503."</p>

</blockquote>

</em><br>

You cannot use an auto winder on either of the two models Stefan asked about.<br /><em></em></p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /><em>"The only thing that I saw the 503 offering over the 501 was that it is newer"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>The</em> 503 in question however is a lot older.<br />There is no <em>the</em> 503. The number belongs to no less than three different models.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You cannot use an auto winder on either of the two models Stefan asked about.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're correct Q.G., sorry for any confusion that may have caused Stefan. The auto winder capabilities were added to the later 503 CXi model, not to the 503 CX.</p>

<p>Personally I've been going back and forth between the 503CW and 501CM for a second (and primary) body, having decided tentatively the 501 is a better fit since I too have no need for the winder. Should have checked my facts a bit more before assuming the 503CX had winder abilities as well!</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the informations. I think I will go for the 501c/m instead of the 503cx which has of course no winder option at all ;-) Sorry for confusing here. I know it will be the cxi instead. What to you recommend at least: the bay, keh or any other shop where I can buy used equipment. I would prefer to have a eurropean shop because of the tax issues.... To many <a href="http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/bureaucracy.html">bureaucracy</a> here in germany...</p>

<p>Stefan,<br>

better buy your camera here in Germany to spare you from trouble. There is lots of choice here. E.g. a friend of mine is selling a freshly CLA'd 503CX with warranty.<br>

Ulrik</p>