Benefits of new bodies?

bryn_evans

<p>I've been using a Canon 300D about 2 years now which I bought 2nd hand. I use that and an EOS 5 film camera as the second camera to do about 8-10 weddings a year plus a few other jobs. I'm contemplating upgrading the 300D and was wondering by doing so what improvements I could expect to see. I'm happy to have a second hand body my line of thought was maybe a 40D or a used 5D or perhaps a 1D mk2? I rarely make prints bigger than 8"x10" so I don't have to have the best there is. The larger size of the 300D with the vertical grip suits me well as I have big hands and it balances well with the 70-200 f4L I have, my lenses are a 50 1.8,20 2.8, 18-55efs ,28-105mk2USM, sigma70-300. Do the more modern sensors in the 40d and 50d etc offer benefits over the older 1D bodies with their larger sensors? Would I see improved low light performance with the newer bodies because I'd say the 300D is weak in this area and I can often struggle with image quality in contrasty scenes. I'd be interested in peoples opinions on the advantages of upgrading. I do enjoy using the old EOS 5 with its large bright viewfinder and I do find it focuses fast too which is maybe one argument for the FF cameras.</p>

<p>I think that if you can get a good 40D or 5D used, you'd be very pleased with the extra controls, etc, that the upscale bodies have.</p>

<p>No eye-controlled focus points of course like your EOS 5. I have one and like it, but don't use the focus control points over much.</p>

<p>Otherwise, having two control wheels, LCD display on top, are all features I prefer in my 20D and 5D over my Rebel XTi (aka 400D). I'd keep your 300D and 18-55 as a backup body and lens. As you know, 28-105 really covers the same range on the larger sensor, and you're used to shooting "full frame" on film anyway. Since you've got a longer lens too, you probably don't need to go to any new lenses, although if you buy a 5D, it wouldn't hurt to get one with the very fine 24-105mm L lens, if you got a good price, it's even better than the 28-105, although that's a good lens too.</p>

<p>I recommend the used 5D, and keep your 300D as a backup. I prefer having one superfast lens for indoor events. You could evaluate which one focal length would be of particularly good use and add that one fast lens. For example the 35/1.4 L, 85/1.2 L, or 135/2 L. I definitely recommend getting the camera body first and using it for awhile. </p>

<p >For al the things you state you like, I vote for a 5D, also. ('cept eye control focus).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If a 5D is chosen as your main digital camera, I see you "loose" three elements on this digital side:</p>

<p >> EF-S 18 to 55 usage (no big hassle, IMO)</p>

<p >> FoV of the fast Prime - (50mm on the 300D was a short portrait / tele lens).</p>

<p >> Pop Up Flash (do you use it?)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As far as gains: ISO capacity, Bright Viewfinder . . . (big list). . . yes I think you will notice gains. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I also like the two control wheels - very easy - by comparison the 400D I occasionally use is slow in functionality.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I also suggest keeping the 300D. I would use it as part of a dual format digital kit. I am very keen on leveraging the lens cache with dual format cameras.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also the 300D and kit lens are useful in dangerous situations, like on a boat or cliff - if you do that - or just light weight, for bush walking</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use a 5D, 20D, 30D Wedding kit.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have the 5D and the one thing I <em >do</em> miss is the pop-up flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm ashamed to say I miss it too. But the images are so damn good I grin 'n bare it. The extra weight of the 220EX only adds a millimeter or two to the dent in my shoulder. </p>

<p>If I had to condense all the benefits of newer bodies over the old 6.1MP DRebel into one sentence, I'd have to say: way less post-production and way better high ISO. There are a zillion minor improvements like instant start-up, bigger VF, better AF, better flash, etc., but spending less time in post-production and being able to take nice images at ISO 800-1600 and passable ones at ISO 3200 is killer. ISO 1600 on the 5D looks similar to ISO 400 on the EOS 300D...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I know the built in flash is not in the same league as the clip-ons, but it is very handy to have the option to use flash, any time. I was taking some Father's day snaps with a bright window in the background, with an older 20D: very nice to just pop up the built in flash for fill-light.</p>

<p>I just sold my 300D on Ebay for $300 bucks. This paid for my Hand grip / Batter hlder on Canon 5D Mark II. I really don't think you will use the 300D if you get even a used 5D. However, if you are doing weddings, already have some good lenses why not go ahead a spring for the 5D Mark II and get the added video which no one in the world ever uses :-).<br>

Just kidding, but you have saved plenty by holding onto the 300D for so long. Doing the same math, imagine how long a 5D Mark II will last you.<br>

I also shoot film Canon ELAN 7NE and find it hard to go back and forth from Crop sensor to full frame so I have decided to be a 100% full frame shooter.</p>

<p>Thanks for the sound advice, It looks as though the 5D might be the one to look out for. I think in terms of what lenses I would get in the future If I got a 24-70 2.8 or a 24-105 f4 then this could be used on the film body too where as the best all round EFS is the 17-55 2.8 is only for the cropped sensors. Are the 1Dmk2 cameras worth a look or do you think the crop factor (is it 1.3 for the APS-H) leaves you struggling for a reasonable "general std zoom" lens to marry up to it? Also many of these could have had a hard life? I have a 430ex flash and a 540 EZ so the lack of a pop up is not an issue to me.</p>

<p><strong><em>"I have the 5D and the one thing I do miss is the pop-up flash."</em></strong><br>

<br>

If my 5D had a PUF I <strong><em>would</em></strong> use it: that is why I mentioned it - I do not feel there is any shame in this issue. It is a very useful tool, I find it especially handy for a little fill, outdoors.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Have you considered getting a 1ds mk2? They can be had for 2k-ish and should be going down further in the near future, if the 1dsmk4 ever comes into existence.<br>

I don't have one but from what I gather they have much better AF than the 300D and any 5D. </p>