580EX II External Battery Pack

carlos_prado2

<p>I found these Battery Packs for the Canon 580EX II on Ebay. They are all priced similarly. However, they each have a different ways of loading the batteries and locking the battery compartment, as well as different configurations for the battery compartment. </p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270395812164&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported">External Flash Light Battery Pack to Canon 580EX/II—8AA - eBay (item 270395812164 end time Jun-02-09 06:19:54 PDT)</a></p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110391536943&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported">Battery Pack for Canon 580EX II 550EX CP-E4 z - eBay (item 110391536943 end time May-24-09 15:34:28 PDT)</a></p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230344488000&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported">Flash Battery Pack for Canon 580EX II 550EX CP-E4 /8xAA - eBay (item 230344488000 end time Jun-20-09 10:37:31 PDT)</a></p>

<p>I was hoping to get everyone's input regarding these different units and which unit may be the most robust, durable and easiest to use. I am most interested in getting input on the different battery compartments and which loading and locking system will be sturdiest and most durable. Thanks.</p>

<p>All the above battery packs seem to be somewhat fashioned after the Canon CP-E# series battery packs in that they plug into the HV (high voltage) plug of your camera. I own both the CP-E3 and CP-E4 (current model). The question you have to ask yourself when buying one of these knock off type battery packs is that are you willing to take a chance that it fries your expensive flash? Not to say that Canon's battery pack can't malfunction but they designed the flash and have a name to uphold. I'm not saying I haven't dabbled with a nock off brand because I have a BVS battery pack that runs off of 4 D cells which is connected to the camera's battery compartment with corded dumby batteries. It's just a chance you take.</p>

<p>I use the CP-4 with my 580 EX I, and have thrown a thousand plus flashes with a fast recycle before the batteries start to wain; using 12 AA Nimh 2700Amp hour rechargeables- 8 in the CP-4 and 4 in the Flash. It conveniently mounts to the side of my RRS WPF-1 Folding Flash Bracket, making for a compact setup that is not too heavy to carry around.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The advantage is speed. Instead of 4 seconds to do a recycle after a full power pop, a CP-E3 or 4 can do it in about 1.2 seconds. BTW, a Quantum Turbo can do the same in sub 1 second times. They just cost 3x as much and weigh a bunch more too.</p>

<p>The flash tube needs something over 300 volts to fire, and all flash units have a voltage step up circuit to make that happen. This high voltage charge gets stored temporarily in the main flash capacitor. When the flash fires the energy is suddenly released through the flash tube. The issue is, how efficient is the voltage step up circuit? And how much power does it start with? The CP-E3/4 starts with 8 AA's, putting out 10-12 volts, but the high efficiency DC to DC voltage converter steps that up to over 300 volts direct to the flash.</p>

<p>A low voltage source relies on the flash's built in converter. In the case of the 580EXII, this is a pretty efficient converter, so times are fairly low. But not as low as a good external high voltage source.</p>