<p>I used NX2 to edit some NEF files. When it closed them it added a lightning bolt and increased to the file sizes considerable. The regular file size and a temp file that is very large. The problem also will not let me convert the files in ViewNX for some reason. Maybe the files are still in a temporary state. Any suggestions on how to get them back to their ]normal file size? Some are now 60mb with the temp info.</p>

<p>I use NX2 as my only post processing editor, but I really don't consider myself an expert. However, keep in mind that NX2 is "non destructive" in its edits. It builds the edit list and appends it to your RAW file. So, after editing you have your RAW file plus the edit list - and a much larger total file. When you convert the edited RAW into JPG or TIF, the conversion program uses the edit list for the conversion and does alter the file, obviously, resulting in a much smaller JPG file. As to why NiewNX wont convert edited RAW, I'd never noticed that until your post and I don't know. I convert my edited RAW files to JPG using NX2 batch processing procedures which work great.</p>

<p>I have not tried to do a batch nef to jpg in NX2. I will try that. So far I have done it manually to each file, very time consuming since I have approximately 400 shots to do. I was not sure if I possibly changed a parameter in NX2. If you don't mind would you try to see if you can convert adjusted nef's to jpg's using ViewNX, that could tell me if I did something Gary.</p>

<p>Ken - I did try after reading your post, and I could not. The convert icon was greyed out. I don't know why, hopefully someone will offer an answer. But, if your converting 400 images, batch processing in NX2 is the way to go. Click on batch, then run batch processes. In the window that comes up, select the source directory your edited RAW files and in, then 3/4 down the page, click on JPG at the "select file format" button, then at the botton, select the file where you want your JPGs stored, and click on "start". Now go find something else to do because converting 400 files is going to take awhile! The workflow that works for me is importing all files from the camera into a RAW file. I bring them all into the NX@ browser using the "open files in the browser" file select command. I edit and save into a separate file called Edited Raw. After I'm happy with the edited files, I batch convert to JPG, saving the converted files into a JPG file. Takes space, but works well. Let me suggest Ben Long's book on Capture NX2. Also, B&H has three tutorials on NX2 on their website that are quite good. Good luck.</p>

<p>View NX won't edit files after they have been edited and saved by Capture NX2. This is confirmed in a rather obscure footnote in the section entitled Supported Formats in the ViewNX help file. I assume the reason is that Capture NX2 supports a much more complex editing engine than the basic edits allowed in ViewNX. Since the edits to NEF files in both programs are non-destructive, View NX would have to support all the editing capabilites of Capture NX2 in order to perform further edits on a file that has been saved by Capture NX2.</p>