what is this???

eleary

<p>If the lens was the Nikkor 14-24/2.8, that would be what I also get sometimes on D700, not all the time. Next picture at a bit different angle could be perfect. Not sure if the cause is camera, since the same lens behaves OK on D200, but that at reduced angle of view (the crop, different sensor type).</p>

<p>I will post the 14-24 lens limitations (or odities) in another post, soon. I tried all settings, and if all set in Auto, seems to do better than my own...though I try to avoid adverse lighting conditions.</p>

<p>Thanks to both of you! Yes it is the 14-24...had not yet noticed if it is just that lens but I think I have seen it with my 70-200 as well...I have sent the question to Nikon...I at first thought it was only shadows...may be...but shows up in clouds ...sand ...things with not much contrast...maybe it is always there and I have not noticed...disconcerting to say the least!!!</p>

<p>OK...Nikon said nothing wrong...he processed RAW image in Nikon NX and CS3 and saw no color shift. I started playing with the camera calibration in LR2 and found that camera neutral setting was the culprit ( counter intuitive as it 's not "neutral") Adobe standard or just ACR 4.6 eliminates it. Finally, it occured to me that shooting over the ocean at dawn or dusk includes green and magenta hues which were just being accentuated...I think.<br>

Thanks for your comments and any further input would be appreciated</p>

<p>When you zoom in on the seagull shot I see a halo of distorted pixels around the birds as well as the shells.<br>

I have seen this occur with oversharpening that's why I brought that up before. Have you tried a complete reset of the camera to factory defaults? Maybe you inadvertently changed an item in the shooting menu.</p>