Epson V750- Slide vs. Negative Film

markus_muller

<p>I takes more skill to get good color balance from negative film. But it has much higher dynamic range (scene brightness ratio) than slide film, so you get more shadow and highlight detail. Also, negative film has a lower maximum density, which is what most challenges scanners of modest cost.</p>

<p>Sorry, but this sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse. Are you saying that you want to mould your entire workflow around a scanner? Most photographers use whichever type of film gives them the results they want, and then buy or rent scanner time to suit the film, not the other way round. Negative film has an entirely different look and exposure criterion to reversal film, and both present different challenges to get the best out of them when scanning, especially with a flatbed scanner.</p>

<p>Given that this scanner doesn`t look to manage contrasty films so good, if you want to get the most of this machine it could be a good idea to expose and develop for lower densities in both kinds of film.<br /> In this way perhaps you can get a bit better scans, at the expense of giving up some film capabilities.<br /> I find pretty difficult to get good scans from properly exposed films with the V750. I finally have thrown the towel. I know that my scanning knowledge is small; it takes a lot of time to experiment and learn how to get anything from it.<br /> In my clumsy training my worst results has been taken with high speed b&w films. The best, with fine grained chromes. All this with lots of post-processing. At the end, every scan takes <em>a lot</em> of working hours, this is something that makes me mad. Think that my expects could differ than yours.<br /> Please notice that I`m not qualified to give a competent opinion on this topic.</p>

<p>This scanner can have problems with high density transparencies. It is not "powerfull" enough to shine them through which can result in banding in high contrast transitions.</p>

<p>I think its quite acceptable to build your workflow around a scanner, because it may be the single most expensive thing and yet also may also be the single weakest link, certainly true in todays game. eBay has bundles of once upon a time ultra costly gear now going for a fraction of what it once cost. <br>

I have the 700 and I fine scanning slide film much easier than negative film -that goes for color specifically as B&W seems to be very easy for me. John Shriver is on the money with his technical details regarding film.</p>

<p>I have a V700 and use Vuescan's two-pass approach option for transparencies, whereby the second pass uses much brighter light. Effectively this is "in-scanner-driver HDR". No banding; no shadow noise.<br>

Not a major fan of C41 neg-film, myself. It's one more set of chemistry to store and a blighter to inspect by eye, so I leave that for the 35mm point-'n'-shoot with prints done in the local shop instead. LF implies fuji transparency film for me.</p>