Holga tips?

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm afraid I got a little impatient waiting for a new DSLR to arrive in the post, and picked up a cheap Holga 120 CFN (is there any other kind?) I've aware of <em>most</em> of the limitations of the camera, and to be honest I bought it on impulse simply for a bit of fun... Or pain, depending on your viewpoint. ;-)<br>

Most seem to recommend taping the case shut, and I'll certainly be taking a roll of gaffer tape with me. Does anyone have any other tips or pointers for a Holga newb? I also own a Bronica ETRSi, so I'm used to shooting 120 film.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Iain</p>

<p>Allow it to inspire creativity. When I carried my Holga, photos always seemed to present themselves that seemed somehow "appropriate" for that means. Several of my favorite photos in my folders have come from my Holga. Best, JR</p>

<p>Thanks... That's a few things to think about. In some ways I'm looking forward to it's arrival as much as the DSLR.</p>

<p>I imagine I'll take off the tape for a couple of rolls, and see what the famous light leaks get up to.</p>

<p>There's taping to be done inside the case and out if you like, but that the thing. You need to shoot a few rolls to get a feel for the disaster that is a Holga (Holgas, for no two are alike), for the view finder, and how you favor composition. SOme things they can do well, and some not. One of mine prefers to be used upside down. <br>

Unfortunately you'll probably find the el cheapo plastic camera and lens more fun than a three thousand dollar rig. But they are still junk, and as such have thier own forum I believe. </p>

<p>I did feel conflicted about posting to<em> classic</em> manual cameras with this one, but in the absense of a 'crappy plastic manual cameras' forum... :-) In retrospect though, perhaps alternative cameras would have been more appropriate.<br>

<br>

Kozma, perhaps it's my fault, but I think you missed my point. It's just about having a bit of fun with it for a few weeks... Any advice asked for was purely in the spirit of avoiding <em>some</em> of the gotchas I won't be used to seeing with the Bronica, which for example is notable for it's complete lack of gaffer tape and cardboard. I'm not planning on toting the Holga aound trying to look cool and artsy; that would be an entirely futile effort at my age anyway! :-)</p>

<p>No need to apologize for posting here. If the Holga gets you shooting film, then that's a<em> good thing!</em> You may find that you enjoy the simplicty and light weight of the Holga. And perhaps then you'll decide to upgrade to a quality small medium format camera like the Zeiss Ikonta or Nettar, or the Voigtlander Bessa...there are many and they can be cheaper than the Holga! For now have fun, and do post in the alternative camera forum with more questions. A lot of us cross check there.</p>

<p>A couple of things -- if you really want a pronounced vingetting you need to take out the mask and tape up the rough edges on the inside so they don't scratch the film. I was getting virtually no vingetting with the mask inside and was a little disappointed in those first results. </p>

<p>Also, the viewfinder does not show all that will appear on the film -- maybe only 70% of the image. So after you've composed, take a step or two forward in order to get what you really want in the frame.<br>

<br />Long exposures are great with a holga, but you'll need to get an adapter that attaches to the front of the lens that allows you to use a cable release with it.</p>

<p>Finally, it's important to know that every holga is different. Some will be sharper than others, others more prone to light leaks, others produce great vingetting effects, etc. I like to have two holgas with me -- one with 100 speed film, the other with 400. Or one with black and white, and the other with colour slide. I'm not recommending you do this right away -- I had my holga a year before I found what I really liked about it and could with it -- but if you do decide you like the holga effect they're cheap enough to have several different versions of them.</p>

<p>Freestyle also has lots of Holga accessories to check out should you become a Holga enthusiast.<br>

Also, check out some of the lower priced black & white films. The higher grain that some of them have goes well with the unique image quality of the Holga.<br>

Do you do your own black & white developing? If not, why not pick up some used gear and inexpensive chemicals. Holga negatives are 6 x 6 and plenty big to make contact prints from.</p>

<p>Iain,<br>

Not sending you away, but was just pointing out where you can find more info about your interests. Here's the crappy plastic and other cameras forum:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/alternative-cameras-forum/">http://www.photo.net/alternative-cameras-forum/</a></p>

<p>I'd also follow other suggestions and enter a search here under "Holga" and just start reading. <br>

Have fun,<br>

Stephen<br>

</p><div>00TV02-138811584.jpg.3329ac8e1c7e933ce0d94188f77f07c6.jpg</div>

<p>Iain,<br>

Not sending you away, but was just pointing out where you can find more info about your interests. Here's the crappy plastic and other cameras forum:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/alternative-cameras-forum/">http://www.photo.net/alternative-cameras-forum/</a></p>

<p>I'd also follow other suggestions and enter a search here under "Holga" and just start reading. <br>

Have fun,<br>

Stephen<br>

</p>