Wedding Vendor Table

nicole_brown

<p>I'm doing a small Bridal show at a Travel Agency next month. I have never set up my own booth before at a show of any kind (big or small) and it's been forever since I have attended as a bride.<br>

This opportunity came up as a favor for a friend who decided to host a wedding show and got all of her friends in the industry to come together to do a show. Creative marketing on her part- there is no entrance fee as it's in her boutique travel agency on day off. I'll have my own table.<br>

What should be my give-away?<br>

I will be putting out:</p>

<ul>

<li>Fresh cut flowers in a vase (is that too over the top?) </li>

<li>my business cards</li>

<li>Multi-Album (several best shots in one album)</li>

<li>Album (wedding story of one couple)</li>

<li>one canvas wrap featured on a table easel </li>

<li>Postcards</li>

<li>Engagement session/Boudoir Session draw</li>

</ul>

<p>Any other ideas?<br>

I know it's not going to be hugely formal but it will be fun and we should have a fair amount of foot traffic as it's in a chic and hip part of town.<br>

Thanks for your tips in advance!<br>

Nicole</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A laptop or TV with a slideshow of studio samples or a sample wedding will attract some attention. Remember, most brides are looking for ideas for their own wedding and/or judging the other bride's dress most of the time rather than actually looking at your photography but it will give you an opportunity to engage with potential clients and network with other vendors. BTW, the value of networking with the other vendors there will also likely be more productive marketing in the long run.</p>

<p>As a give-away, I would suggest warmth, smiles and friendliness.</p>

<p>Why not give away the flowers? You cannot reuse them anyway. You can make a small card for the drawing and then will have at least most of the names and info for a follow up email or note. We always have a bowl of candy, which will draw people to the table. And we give away a large print and bigger album to anyone who attends the show and books with us.<br>

We have also found the laptop slide show a good idea. Have fun.</p>

<p>Nicole,<br>

Contrary to the other replies, I'm not a big fan of slideshows at this type of event. This only serves to promote that your photography is electronic which reinforces the concept of digital files vs. prints and albums, UNLESS this is what you want to promote. If you want to sell them a beautiful album, show them beautiful albums. Show them what they can't create and order from Snapfish...-Aimee</p>

<p>I completely disagree with Aimee on the issue of slideshows at booths. The average age of today's boutique bride is mid to late 20's...they know all about digital and expect it as a part of just about everything. What you want is for all of these potentials to hang out at your booth for as long as possible seeing as much of your work as possible. Yes, show them a high end album of a wedding and a best of album, show them gallery wraps but after about 5 mins or so, they will be ready to move on UNLESS you have a slideshow running with 300(random number) of your very best shots. This will only reinforce your consistency not just from wedding to wedding but throughout the wedding day and keep their eyeballs on your work, not someone else's.</p>

<p>Something else to remember at vendor shows is every vendor is your competition. After the venues, dress, and rings, what's left of the budget must be divided between the cake, flourist, dj, AND the photographer...so keep them at your booth looking at your valuable product as long as possible so that, hopefully, your chunk of what's left over is as big as possible.</p>

<p><em><strong>"What should be my give-away?" . . . "we should have a fair amount of foot traffic as it's in a chic and hip part of town."</strong></em><br>

A "limited number" (enough to suit all who want it), of your Unique "Lover's Portrait Session." on a "First to book only" basis. Have the booking Diary with you <br>

<br>

This special offer could be modeled on either your Standard Engagement Session or Boudoir Session, previously mentioned.<br>

There are many methods to ensure the Prospects show up, which is the first usual rebuff made to this suggestion: one simple method is to take a deposit, which is later subtracted from any purchase or refunded in full, in no purchase is made following the Unique Portrait Session. <br>

It is my opinion if you are going to the trouble of setting up to market yourself and you want to give something away - then make the give away, meaningful.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>Just a note to Chris,<br>

Not sure how many bridal shows you've done or how long you've been in the business. Unless it's a really small show, I for one don't want them hanging around for more than 5-10 minutes. I also don't show thick wedding albums at shows or during appointment times as there is more that I want to showcase and discuss. I'm with them to secure an appointment, a booking or a session. I'm notT there to entertain them.<br>

Again, whatever works best for you is fine. You may be targeting the 10's, but I'm targeting the 8's & 9's. It's a much bigger crowd with plenty of cash. I'm not concerned with their net worth, I just want them to place large orders.....-Aimee</p>

<p>The two that we've done has accounted for a tremendous amount of bookings and got us a feature in a local wedding magazine. The first one we did we just had the slideshow and booked 15 weddings from it, not all at the show but most were call backs. The second show we decided to go all out, we had a very small space but setup a 26" monitor with a slideshow running on a table with a couple of albums and an appointment book. Behind the table we had two antique wing back chairs, a small antique table, gallery wraps hanging on the wire mesh, and refreshments. We scheduled appointments for the first 30 mins then when the brides came back we interviewed them in our little "living room" type setting for about 15 mins each. Plus, each bride knew we were only going to book 4 weddings that day as we only had 4 dates open before we reached our max number of weddings we wanted. I didn't think all of this would work but was pleasently surprised that it worked like a charm by creating an atmosphere of mystique and exclusivity. We considered it a success but I don't think we will be doing those kinds of shows anymore as it's really become too expensive.</p>

<p>Oh, our giveaway, to answer the op, was 2 hours at a local day spa. They needed some interior shots and we wanted a giveaway prize. So you should also look around your community to see if there is something you could give that would be a little outside of the norm for a photographer.</p>

<p>Chris,<br>

If you booked 15 weddings at the first show, why would you "go all out" to book 4 more weddings at the second show? Then you summarize it by saying...</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"We considered it a success but I don't think we will be doing those kinds of shows anymore as it's really become too expensive"?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you didn't make enough money after it was all said and done and went through all that additional work and expense, what was successful about it? Was it just an ego booster?...-Aimee</p>

<p>Ego boost? Sorta, I do like being the center of attention, but I digress. The 4 we booked were our $3200 show "special" collection, which at that time was really cool since we had prior to that been booking $500 weddings. Now, the show has doubled their prices for boths, tables, allow no extra furniture, have other restrictions that are new, and charge those who want to attend. I would much rather spend the money for the show on other things, than to participate in the "new" show. Plus there's only one show in our area and they're it. It was fun and we had a blast, booked some great weddings at the show and a few more because of the show. Will I do a show again, maybe if our show comes back down to earth but for right now, it's just not something we want to do or spend our money on.</p>

<p>Disagreeing a bit with Aimee here, but agreeing about the albums very much so.<br>

I want brides to engage with me for as long as possible, I am ultimately selling me, my service, my approach, a quick how-dee-do, here's a brochure, love to talk to ya later! Is how many in my market deal with brides at the bridal shows. Every single bride I book from the shows mentions the same thing..."you were the only one to took the time to speak with us" I can hand out information to those passing by while still talking, I display lots of large prints that are fantastic, I have a huge display to show my work. But it's me who books them, and I tell them that if you are going to spend more time on your wedding day with someone other than the groom, you reallly better get along with him straight away.</p>

<p>While my images are clearly better than what they would do on Snapfish, I really do think your point about albums and the like is spot-on.</p>

<p>Oh, original question? I would provide the one thing that keeps you with the client for as long as possible, a photo session, you are selling yourself, getting your work out to them, they probably won't be coming alone, so you can schmooze the other people to. So for the cost of your time, which may be $100 an hour, or it may be $35..you are getting great face time with a potential client who would otherwise, maybe, just say thanks..and skedaddle.<br>

Jeeze, "skedaddle"? I am sounding quite the geezer...oh god..."geezer"?</p>

<p>Chris,<br>

Since you feel that the "old" show was better, why not host one yourself? Compete with the existing show. There is money to be made here and if you host the show, you will be the only photographer. Now here's a real opportunity. Also, schedule your show ahead of theirs. Sounds tempting? ...-Aimee</p>

<p>Daniel,<br>

Yes, it's you who sells the bride, but you've left out some important information about the traffic flow in the booth. How many people and how long a time frame? If you have the time to sit like that, then it's great, but if you're ignoring many, than maybe it's not. At the least, if you could book appointments and not just hand out a brochure, that would be a good compromise. Some shows don't allow actual business to be transacted...-Aimee</p>