Alaska suggestion requested

julieroggow

<p>We have 3 nights confirmed at Brooks Lodge (late July of 2010). After that we'll rent a motorhome and spend 3 nights in Denali National Park. Keeping in mind that wildlife photography is our sole reason for going to Alaska, does anyone have any ideas for 3-4 additional days? We can fly in or out of Anchorage or Fairbanks so we'd like to stay somewhere within a comfortable drive to either city.<br>

Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Julie</p>

<p>I suggest you get out onto the water. Seward is an easy drive south from Anchorage. There you'll find a variety of day cruises on Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords National Park. From what I've read, the Kenai trip will show you more wildlife and less landscape than Prince William Sound. I did a full day trip in the Kenai Fjords and it was wonderful. Young eagles (at a distance), puffins, rafts of otters, and whales. On top of that, the Aialik Glacier is amazing. Lots of calving, and the previous winter's snow was melted and the glacier was all blue! These trips come in various sizes - the 4-6 hour ones don't get far enough into the Fjords to be really good for wildlife. Take the longest you can find. Smaller boats have less crowding, which can be an issue - an announcment of a whale on a specific side of the boat results in a rush to that side and serious crowding on that rail. But smaller boats are tougher if you are vulnerable to motion sickness. If that's a problem for you, check with the tour company and insist on a catamaran - that twin hull handles uneven seas better than a single hull boat.<br>

Also, once in Seward, if you drive south along Resurrection Bay late in the day, you have a good chance of finding otters floating near the shore.<br>

You'll probably find more fishermen that fish in late July on most of the Kenai peninsula. Some rivers have real crowding issues along the banks. But you might check with some of the outfitters in the towns of Kenai and Soldotna for float trips on rivers that don't get so many fishermen - you could find more eagle and bear opportunities (although I expect on a smaller scale than you'll see at Brooks). Look for Alaska websites that specialize in fishing - they will tell you which kinds of salmon will be running on which rivers and when - that will tell you where you will have prospects to find bears and eagles.<br>

Captive animals can be seen very close at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center - it's near Girdwood on the east end of Turnagain Arm, and you can get very close to moose, elk, deer, black bear, and caribou. They also have a few musk ox, but they seem to keep their distance from people.</p>

<p>I second the suggestion to tour into and beyond Ressurection Bay form Seward. A couple of years ago in June, we took a 6-hour tour, and the scenery and wildlife were remarkable. I would also be remiss if I did not recommend Polychrome Pass in Denali. I understand you are not necessarily looking for landscape shots. Nonetheless, the view from Polychrome Pass was without doubt the most storybook, picturesque locale I have ever experienced.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I third, can you do that, the suggestion on Seward. I have been there a time or two. Most recently last May. We took the Captains Choice tour with Kenai Fjords Tours. Check out their website for more info. This is a smaller boat that caters to photographers more so than the larger day cruise boats. Great wildlife images and wonderful coastline scenery to include glaciers is part of that day. Best money I have spent in Alaska to date. A must do if you will. The Kenai Peninsula itself is very scenic. The old Russian Orthodox church is in Ninilchik I believe. The cliff with lighthouse is in Clam Gulch. Homer is a cool place. Lots of lakes and rivers with mountain backdrops. Just so much to see and do. Be sure to check out the wildlife refuge in Portage Glacier on the way down to Seward. The Sealife Center in downtown Seward is cool and educational. And if you are a fisherman, the Kenai Peninsula is world class. Check the Alaska Troutfitters website for info. They are a fly shop and guiding service in Cooper Landing. Lots of good day or half day charters in Seward for halibut. Processors there on the dock will filet, vacuum seal, freeze, and ship your catch. I brought back 60 lbs of halibut filets on my last trip. Anyway, if you are looking for a 3-4 day trip, the Kenai would make a fine addition to your trip. A brief slideshow of my images from that trip are below. Any questions, feel free to email me.<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/21144083@N02/sets/72157605295387576/show/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/21144083@N02/sets/72157605295387576/show/</a><br>

Dan</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I live in Fairbanks, so I confess I am a little partial to the interior of Alaska. While Seward is a very fun area, there are also good possibilities elsewhere. While not a wildlife hotspot in itself, Fairbanks is centrally located to give access to a really wide range of terrain and wildlife that (IMHO) is underphotographed. Drive times and logistics are significant, but the North Slope via the Dalton Highway is a great way to see interesting wildlife. Denali NP is good as well. Plan on having at least several days for each. Valdez is a very interesting place and is equally accessible from Fairbanks and Anchorage. The state is HUGE, and it is a real challenge to explore even small sections of it.<br>

Good luck! :)<br>

Jeff Green<br>

<a href="http://www.jeffgreenphotography.com">www.jeffgreenphotography.com</a></p>