One or two nice K-7 features from the dpreview hands on review

jptreen

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk7/<br>

most of the big stuff is out now, but here are a couple of nuggets I found...<br>

on page 6, there is a short blurb about what the EV compensation button does in manual mode...</p>

<p>"In manual mode it biases the meter, rather than making any change to the chosen exposure. This bias is then interpreted as exposure compensation if you switch to other modes, rather than just giving a misleading meter reading."</p>

<p>...this means wonderful things for users of the green button.</p>

<p>there is also now a latch on the mode dial, so you can't knock between modes by mistake.</p>

<p>ooh...</p>

<p>From the custom menu...</p>

<p>18. Slow Shutter Speed NR 1: Auto<br /> 2: Standard</p>

<p>...that could be bad if it's in the production cameras...disabling dark frame subtraction would be a good thing to put back in...</p>

<p>...again, custom menu...</p>

<p>35. Catch-in focus 1: On 2: Off Shutter releases when subject passes pre-set focus distance (AF.S mode/lenses with MF modes only)</p>

<p>...if I'm not mistaken, that's new too? I certainly don't have it on my K10D - automating trap-focus is a nice idea, and great for all the MF lens people out there who get peeved by the APS-C finder - my first query is how well will it work if I hold down the shutter release on an OOF candid portrait, rotate the focus barrel and the shutter snaps when it's in focus. It wouldn't be first choice, but it might work well enough for grab-shots...</p>

<p>One thing it doesn't mention is whether a left-eye shooter will hit those buttons on the back with their nose. ??<br>

Also, does "stop-down metering" with old lenses via an adapter just mean that you have to change the aperture to meter? Not that you're limited in the apertures you can use, right? </p>

<p>PS - I'm a left-eye shooter, and never have had problems on my K100DS and I've just spent the last few seconds looking like an idiot pressing the K10D buttons into my face and it's amazing just how many of them weren't pressed at all.</p>

<p >John-Paul Treen wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>35. Catch-in focus 1: On 2: Off Shutter releases when subject passes pre-set focus distance (AF.S mode/lenses with MF modes only)<br>

...if I'm not mistaken, that's new too?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is there on my K20D so I always assumed it was on the K10D (which I do not own). So, no new feature. On my wish list is the ability to do catch-in-focus with AF lenses. But this, like most of the rest of my list, is not in place.</p>

<p >Bethe Fisher wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One thing it doesn't mention is whether a left-eye shooter will hit those buttons on the back with their nose. ??</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I sometimes hit the buttons to move focus points accidentally. Now I will hit the WB etc. accidentally - a much worse situation unless I can disable the buttons entirely. But I don't think that is possible.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> Also, does "stop-down metering" with old lenses via an adapter just mean that you have to change the aperture to meter? Not that you're limited in the apertures you can use, right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I presume this functionality is exactly the same as previous models. The press literature refers to this in light of the crippled mount. If the mount was uncrippled we'd have a mechanical feature to auto-stop-down older lenses. This section of text is simply saying we still do not have this ability. Another item on my wish list. ;-)</p>

<p>dedicated MLU mode is new...as is the catch on the dial - I was wrong about the catch focus thingy...I'm sure my K10D doesn't do it...I believe the EV comp working as meter bias in manual mode is new too - what I get from that is that you can program the green button in manual to points other than the program line...</p>