Alaska Eagles Question. I am planing a trip to Alaska in July '09

romangolubenko

<p>I believe they banned feeding of the eagles a couple years ago so it's not quite the spectacle it once was. I'm sure you'll still see some, but I wouldn't have too high an expectation. The Skagit (WA), Lower Klamath (CA), and Brackendale (BC) are all superb places in January.</p>

<p>Eagles are pretty common on the Kenai. In July, they are going to be where the fish are, which would be along the Kenai, Russian, and Anchor rivers. In the Homer area, look for them soaring along the bluffs. A good place is the pull out above town as you are driving in to Homer. You won't find the huge congregation that the feeding in Homer produced, but they never were fed in the summer anyway, as it is a time when there is plenty of natural food available. Feeding is now illegal. There are a number of nests along Kachemak Bay, and a few that are fairly close to East Road in Homer, but generally they are not so visible, as they are normally in Cottonwood trees and the leaves make it difficult to see them. Another nesting area is along the Kenai River. The area around Cooper Landing is usually a good place to see them. From Anchorage to the Alaska Range there are many places where you might see them as well. Should you be planning a trip to Katmai, you would see plenty of eagles. </p>

<p>Jean Keane was the last person allowed to feed the eagles in Homer. She only did it during winter months, so the eagles would scatter in spring anyway. But Jean passed away early this year, and the feeding program ended a month or so later. There are still plenty of eagles around. They're just not all bunched together, and as approachable as they were 6 months ago.</p>

<p>I get out an float a lot of rivers every summer, and see lots of eagles every time I'm out. You can see them flying around Anchorage and other towns, but like Steve said, look for them hanging around the rivers.</p>

<p>You could go to Bella Coola on the Coast of BC in August and September and see bears, eagles, and salmon galore. It's a spectacularly beautiful place, one of the most amazing places in the world, and heaven on Earth for a nature photographer. Much easier to get around in than Alaska too. It's one long vallery and very manageable. I've spent a lot of time there.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Heading south from Anchorage there is a Y in the road, left takes you to Seward, right takes you to Homer, Kenai, Soldotna. Look in the trees on the other side of the river. If there are fish, there will be eagles. Usually means there will be bears as well.<br>

Just south of Russian River fishing area you will find combat fishermen, eagles hang out there as well.<br>

I actually have several blog posts on photographing eagles. Here is one where I filmed the eagles in Homer with my 5D mark II.<br>

<a href="http://www.akphotograph.com/Alaska%20Blog/?p=276">http://www.akphotograph.com/Alaska%20Blog/?p=276</a><br>

Good Luck and enjoy your stay,<br>

Mike</p>