Can I cut the cord, on my off-camera shoe cord 2 ?

richard_pope2

I want to make the cord on my off-camera shoe cord longer, so I can

move my 550ex a little farther from the camera to be mounted on a

stand. So, I want to cut the cable in the middle and solder in a new

6 to 8 foot length of cable. I would rather solder on some multi-pin

connectors, so I can remove the extension cable and use the off-

camera shoe cord back to it's original length when I needed it to be

short again. Good idea? or Bad idea. Thanks for any suggestions.

Actually I think this is a great idea richard. I have considered the same modification, allowing for both shorter and longer cable options. Let me know how it works out, and what connectors you end up using.

Of course there is also the ST-E2 IR transmitter option...

Ah, the internet, source of all information...

Smaller wires have HIGHER resistance.

It's possible the IMPEDANCE of the cord is critical, especially if high speed data is being transmitted. Splicing in a section of additional wire may or may not result in a functioning cord.

I'd say this is a reasonable idea, provided you are prepared to try to solder the cable back togther (or throw it away) if it doesn't work.

I was going to say, smaller wires would be far from providing less resistance.

And I agree with Bob, you've got a good chance that this won't work and that you'll probably be scratching the original cord if it doesnt, but it's worth a shot isn't it?

And please report back with your experience - successful or not -

so that others may learn from it. :)

Hopefully the wire will be a simple stranded wire setup and not

like headphones, which often use impossible-to-hand-solder

laminated materials.

I cannot recall specifically in what forum/thread I read about it but I do remember the writer claiming to have accomplished exactly what you have proposed, and claimed it worked OK.

However, be aware that the wires in the off-camera shoe cord are very tiny (about 28 gauge, I would guess) and unless you have the experience and proper tools, you could end up with some expensive scrap. Also, finding the proper cable and connectors for an extension could prove challenging. But good luck if you try it.

On the other hand, assuming you have a type A body that supports E-TTL, I would advise you to get the ST-E2 transmitter and eliminate the wires completely.

Thanks everbody! I opened the connector for the camera side, I found it to be a sheilded cable with five conductors, so now I'm on the hunt for similiar type cable. I going to try the connectors as well. I looked at some 5-pin din plugs in radio shack, there were a little bigger than what I was hoping to use, anyway, I'll post again with the results. Thanks again for everyones' input.

Rick

The 2ft and 10ft cables have connectors for mating with hardware other than the off-camera shoe cord. The cable may be suitable for use with the proposed scheme but it would require finding mating connectors or cutting the connectors off the Canon cables. The cables are also expensive.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

O.K..... With the end in mind. It's not working. But......

It did work just great through several of rolls of film. I used a very similiar type of cable and carefully soldered in a ten foot section.( I tried some 5 pin din plugs so I could go from 10' back to 2'. That did not work.)

But my last roll came back looking as if no flash had fired and I can't figure out why. I checked the continuity on all the conductors from pin to pin and all appears good. I pulled and tugged on the cable while checking continuity, all held good.

So, I don't know. I'll probably try to use it again and see what happens. If I figure it out I'll definitely post it.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Rick

• 2 months later...

seems like adding ethernet connectors would be a good idea. The cables,

connectors, and crimpers are available quite inexpensively, and you would

have a good source of cables in a variety of lengths. The wires are twisted

and shielded, and are designed for high-speed data transmittal. Of course, I

have no idea about whether the impedances would match up or whether this

would work. Just an idea for the next guy that wants to try this.

• 3 weeks later...
Didn't Canon make a 100 foot cord for the 300TL? I'm using the off camera cord from my T90 on my 1D with the 550EX with no problems. I'm assuming that the rest of the accessories with the 300TL and T90 would work with the newer Canon cameras

• 3 years later...