Printing a toned B&W image

<p>I use Nik Silver Efex Pro to convert my images into b&w. I can print these images quite successfully using ImagePrint RIP in its b&w mode, as long as I don't tone the image.</p>

<p>My question is: how do you print a B&W image that has been toned with Silver Efex Pro, Lightroom, or another b&w converter? Doesn't the toning require you to use a color print mode? And if so, doesn't that cause all the issues associated with printing b&w using a color print mode (metamerism, etc)?</p>

<p>Please note, I'm not referring to toning using the print driver itself, as for example Epson Advanced Black and White can do, or the ImagePrint RIP can. I'm talking about toning using a b&w converter and then printing the final toned image.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>What are you printing with? If you're using a modern pigment printer (i.e., not a 2200/4000/7600/9600), metameric failure really isn't an issue.</p>

<p>And it's generally not an issue with toned prints even if you're using an older printer and inkset, as you're dealing with one color that's going to shift relatively consistently. Color toning was in fact one of the more popular ways to deal with the original UltraChrome inks' limitations for B&W printing.</p>

<p>Kuryan, this is exactly the question I asked a few weeks ago. My concern, and yours, is correct, although some members didn't really understand the issue: If you want to print a toned image you are giving up the ABW (Advanced B and W) mode of your Epson printer (I have a 2880). The only way to keep it toned is to rely on the ABW options (warm, cool, neutral etc) in the print menu once ABW is selected.<br>

I did some tests, although not extensive nor systematic: made two copies of one image, one toned (i.e. split toning in Lightroom), then print the toned image both with color (1.) (which preserved the toning) and in ABW (2.) (which lost the toning). Both prints were very good, obviously one "lost" the color tone. Then I printed the non-toned image in ABW (3.), and apparently there was no difference between 2. and 3.<br>

I think my photo wasn't may be challenging enough for the ABW to show its power/capability over the color mode one.<br>

What I decided to do from now on is to use the toning effects in the ABW mode menu, unless of course I need a drastic toning, like "everything is pink", in which case I'll print in color.<br>

If your main goal is to obtain a warm or cool effect, I think a good/suitable paper together with the appropriate choice of tone effect in the Epson ABW will give the best and most reliable result. One drawback though is that you cannot preview the warm effect before printing.<br>

Hope this helps, although would like to see more on this (important, for me) issue. I plan to do more tests when school is over and I'll have a bit more time.</p>

<p>Toning a B&W image yields a color file, which ought to be faithfully rendered when printed in color mode and with proper color management. Monochrome printing will eliminate the toning. Metamerism is a result of the mismatch between the spectral characteristics of dyes, illumination, and the observer's eyes, and can be handled best by controlling the first two. A dye set or printer alone cannot completely eliminate the problem, as any solution must consider the color of the illuminant - even if you perfectly compensate for one type of illumination, a change in lighting will reveal metamerism.</p>