Need a Special lens

josephbraun

<p>Sounds like what you after is pin cushion distortion. You can add that in easily with an digital editor like photoshop. If you shoot film and don't scan in your film, try print your negative with a super wide lens instead of an enlargering lens. </p>

<p>No. Lenses of different focal lengths provide different results. Ultrawides provide one view, normal wide, like the 35mm provide another, and telephotos provide another. Crop bodies change all of them. </p>

<p>One of those funky adapters, the "lensbaby" I think it is might do what you want.</p>

<p>A Lensbaby might be about right. Optically spekaing it has a focal length of about 50mm, but with the right manipulation it looks like a wide angle might.<br>

Its hard to explain.</p>

<p>Just google image, lensbaby and have a look at some examples.</p>

<p>A lensbaby will not do what you want. It lets you control out of focus areas, not barrel distortion. Optically, they are quite good, so that won't work. I don't think you'll find a lens like that, and I think Tommy's suggestion to add it in PhotoShop (maybe the Nikon software has it too) would be your only option.</p>

<p>It takes a fisheye lens to make fisheye pics unless you introduce distortion in photoshop.<br>

Decades ago there were fisheye converts for 50mm lenses that made a full circular image on the center of the frame. People like Spiratone sold them and qualiy was iffy. </p>

<p>fisheye distortion is not pincushion, but a severe barrel distortion. you'll have trouble finding a 35mm that distorts like that though. best bet would be to shoot with the 35 you have, and add the distortion you're after in post. photoshop should get you there</p>

<p>If you're shooting with a DX camera, the 16mm FF fisheye will give <i>roughly</i> the same angle of view as a 24mm, but with very pronounced barrel(negative)distortion. Other than that, you could adapt a Hasselblad 30mm fisheye, or a Pentax 6x7 35mm fisheye, but it'd be expensive and all automation would be lost.</p>

<p>I'm not sure whether you're talking about the unique look of WA perspective (things close to you look proportionally bigger than the way they really are comparing to things farther away) or the "bloated" type barrel distortion. </p>

<p>Perspective is directly associated with the FL, and you can't get the perspective of, let's say a 18mm lens with a 35mm lens. But many lenses, mostly WA lenses, have barrel distortion; it is something most people actually don't want in a lens. To many the distortion is more of a flaw than characteristic. </p>

<p>Thanks for the relies so far... I already have a lensbaby and that is not the effect i want here.</p>

<p>Shun, I am looking for the bloated type barrel distortion, in a 50mm lens. Lex, those dodad attachments have bad poor optics so that's a no go. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Other than that, you could adapt a Hasselblad 30mm fisheye, or a Pentax 6x7 35mm fisheye, but it'd be expensive and all automation would be lost.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Arsat 30/3.5 fisheye is cheap. I have no idea how much distortion is left when used on aps-c sensor though.</p>

<p>Zenitar 16mm fisheye is the cheapest bet that is guaranteed to give you something in the lines you're looking for. But 50mm? No. It's simply not possible without converter or post editing.</p>

<p>Lens designers the world over have been working feverishly for the last 200 years to get rid of the distortion you ask for. But the most possible solution is probably what the others have posted...get a relatively cheap fisheye front-adapter, and stick it on the front of a 100mm lens. The sharpness quality will be poor, though...stopping down to f/11 or f/16 will help.</p>