SB600

davey h

<p>Hi just a quick question! I own a D700 and want a Nikon flash. I was looking at the SB600 but when I see it advertised it doesnt mention it is compatable with my camera. It shows it For the Nikon D50, D70, D70s, D100, D200, D2H, D2X and D1X SLR is this true and do I need to go for the SB900 many Thanks.</p>

<p>To clarify, the SB600 will work as a slave, not as a master. You can use your D700 pop up flash to control the SB600. Personally, I would start with a 900: more power which is essential if you are bouncing. And a faster recycle time. It's also easier to use as a commander (or slave) in a wireless set up.</p>

<p>What are you photographing and what kind of lighting is needed to get the pictures you need. Decide that and then you can decide the flash or lighting system that you need. I use the sb600 on my D200 for outdoor fill flash and indoor bounce flash at reasonable distances. No problems at all with the flash for any of that. The sb900 will be more powerful, heavier, more expensive. The sb600 will fit in your bag and hardly take any room and it's not to heavy to carry everywhere you go.</p>

<p>The D700 and all other current Nikon DSLRs use the i-TTL flash system. Nikon has had five flashes that are i-TTL compatible; all of them have triple-digit n00 model numbers, including the SB-600 and SB-900.</p>

<p>The SB-900 is i-TTL compatible only while the SB-600 is both i-TTL and the old D-TTL compatible. Therefore, the SB-600 has a wider TTL compatibility than the SB-900. See photo.net's Nikon i-TTL flash guide for more details: <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/</a></p>

<p>i wouldnt get the 900 unless you are shooting professional events, doing a lot of off-camera stuff with multiple speedlights, or need fill flash for long lenses and really need something high-powered. the 900 is more full-featured--it can even bake bread!--but also much much bigger, 2x more expensive, and has a more menu-based interface. but if you will not be using those features,it's kind of a waste of money.</p>

<p>the 600 on the other hand, is simpler to use, smaller, lighter, and covers basic functions well. it's very easy to put it into manual mode. for the cost it delivers the best price/performance in an iTTL nikon speedlite for casual users. even if you upgrade to a 900 down the line, you can still use the 600 remotely.</p>

<p>I guess this is a very old advertisment. Was it in an old magazine :) ? I have the 600 and ist's fine for weddings, events. Very easy to use. I very much like the automatic zoom function, and the very easy to use compensation buttons.<br>

regards, Martijn</p>