gitzo g1227 MK2 with 488RC2

abhijit_roy

<p>Hi!<br>

I am getting a used Gitzo G1227 MK2 locally at $350. I am planning to use the tripod for my hiking and trekking trips. As I found out, this model is already discontinued. So, what do you all suggest? Is this a fair deal or should I buy a newer Gitzo model?<br>

Also, I am confused between 488RC2 and an Acratech GV2 ballhead. 488RC2 is a whole lot cheaper and I dont want to spend triple of that amount to buy the acratech if I dont have to.<br>

I will use this set up for my nature and macro. I use a D90 with Nikon 105mm or 70-300 lenses.<br>

Can someone tell us if this setup gonna work for me?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My only suggestion would be to steer away from the RC2 QR system if you're going to do macro. I have the 486RC2 on a carbon tripod, and by far the wiggliest part of the whole setup is the interface between the camera and the RC2 plate. The rubber is just too thick and the plate is too small. If you want to save a few bucks, you might get the 488 with no QR system, then add arca-swiss QR and plate. </p>

<p>I have a G1227, which I purchased used for $200 from KEH in 2004. It is an excellent, all-purpose tripod. $350 seems a little high for a tripod that sold for just under $500 new (mine was damaged, but easily repaired by replacing the bushings). The newer, 6x tripods have keyed, non-rotating shafts which are much faster to set up, and nearly eliminate slipping joints (not tightened enough).</p>

<p>I strongly second Walt Z's recommendation on the head. The Bogen 488 is pretty solid, but adding an Arca-style clamp and QR plate is definitely the way to go (q.v., <a href="http://www.ReallyRightStuff.com">www.ReallyRightStuff.com</a>). You would need to spend at least $300 to get a better head.</p>

<p>Ditto above on the 488. Lacking a tension control, it gets a bit fiddly to center your focus point precisely, but you can eventually, it locks up rock solid. Kirk and RRS sell replacement clamps and plates that are A-S compatible, and this helps when camera is in vertical mode. The RCs lack the lip that prevents camera droop with heavier lenses (well, they do sell one, but it's generic and not that good) </p>

<p>I was going to put a Kirk clamp on mine, but went ahead and bought their BH-3. Just as solid with my 5D and 100-400, am now hooked on the tension control feature, and not that much more expensive than a 488 and replacement clamp. You can get used plates at KEH and on Ebay</p>

<p>The 1227 is a fine tripod and will support a 500 f/4 lens. (I'd be a little wary about a 600 f/4, however.) I would agree that $350 is a bit high unless it is in pristine condition. Otherwise, it's one of the best tripods made, and should last many years.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the comments. I dont think I would gather enough money to buy a $8000 lens in near future :-( So I guess I am covered on the weight aspect of the tripod. Hopefully I can control my lens lust :)<br>

I should check out the 1227. The seller also giving me a free bag ( $40 value as per the ad!!), I dont care for the bag though as I will be putting it in my backpack. If it is not pristine, I might have to decline (politely ofcourse ).<br>

I am getting some worries on 488RC2 ballhead from your comments. Should I bite the bullet and go for a markins Q3 and happily live ever after? Or .... </p>

<p>Abhijit, I was going through a number of ballhead threads on Fred Miranda's site, and a recurring complaint about the Markins is that the panning knob doesn't lock as tightly as other brands. However, this seemed mainly to be a problem when carrying a camera/long lens on tripod/over shoulder, not when shooting </p>

<p>Abhijit, I got a used G-1228 about three years ago and it is one of the best things I've bought. I serviced it myself and replaced the bushings there is info on the internet how-to-do this. I use a Linhof ballhead on mine but if I were buying today I'd use a Markins. I have the Markins Arca-Swiss QR clamps and plates and they are beautifully made. There are good prices ($269) on Markins Q3 Emille ballhead on eBay at the moment...</p>