TIFF from EOS 5DII & EOS 5D in Phtoshop CS2

coconutjoe

<p>TIFF from EOS 5DII & EOS 5D in Phtoshop CS2.<br>

<br />Hello,<br>

<br />I have been using EOS 5D for about 2 years, shooting TIFF format. The TIFF files open fine in Photoshop CS2, which I used to manupilate.<br />I recently upgraded to EOS 5DII and installed programs provided in the included CD. For some reason, files taken with the new camera body in TIFF can NOT be opened in Photoshop CS2.<br />The file name extensions of old TIFF files and the new TIFF files are the same. The new TIFF files open fine in the Canon's included program, but not in PS CS2.<br /><br />Help Please! I'm about to pull my hair out.<br /><br />Thank you.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Neither the 5D nor the 5DII shoot in TIF mode! They never have! What you probably mean is RAW. You need to upgrade to CS4 if you want to open your RAW files in PS. A workaround is to convert your files to DNG and then you can open them in PS CS2. Do a search on DNG converter and download the program. Or, just use DPP.</p>

<p>No Canon DSLR can save TIFF files. You have two basic choices: RAW or JPEG. However, a RAW converter like DPP or Aperture can generate a TIFF from a RAW file.</p>

<p>PS CS2 is two generations back, circa 2005. No software company will support a 4 year old program with updates after releasing 2 major reversions. If you want to use ACR for RAW, you need PS CS4 for the 5D II. Another option is to buy Aperture or Lightroom. Both make great photo organizers and open current RAW files and have 90% of the edits most photogs need. You can export a TIFF or JPEG for further tweaks in PS CS2 if you need to hump a few layer masks or do massive paint/clone tasks.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>As I have PS CS2 and simply refuse to pay a fortune for upgrades just in order to open the files from my 5D2, I use DPP which comes free with the camera. Another good option is UFRaw, which is freeware and surprisingly good. If you want a more professional product, CaptureOne will do the job. Fotostation which I use as my archive can also handle the new files. In all these cases, the result is a file in a standard format. Even Adobe can not ask for money if you want to open a TIFF of JPEG file in good old CS2.</p>