Thank You PDN

lynn_weathers

<p>My husband says I spend way too much time on these forums, but I have to say that it's because of the forum that I will be able to make lemonade out a pretty ugly lemon tomorrow. Here's the story:<br>

While at the rehearsal tonight for tomorrow's wedding, a guest comments on my camera. Conversation ensues and I discover that she and her boyfriend are both photogs as well, and had been considered as photographers for this particular wedding. She's a friend of the bride and she shares with me that she and her BF are planning on shooting the wedding as well. I was shocked. I mean, I've read on the forums so many times about this happening, but in 7 years it's NEVER happened to me! I'm tempted to approach the bride and remind her about my exclusivity clause, but then I realize that may not help as this "friend" of hers will be doing all the "getting ready" photos at the hotel (the bride only wanted me for formals) and will be building a rapport with all the other girls (and family). I don't want to be cast in a poor light all day before the ceremony. Also, the girl said she wasn't sure that the bride was aware that they were planning on taking photos. Oh, just as a note...the whole reason I was at this rehearsal was to speak with the Priest about where I can and can't be during the ceremony (he's reportedly thrown other photographers out of the church before, so I want to mind my P's & Q's, ya know?) What's going to happen when this girl and her boyfriend go where they aren't supposed to? He'll think they're with me, right? <br>

Well, thanks to the Forums I think the best way for me to handle this situation is the be happy to have them along to help, right? I was at least able to talk to the girlfriend...and got her on board with shooting from the back of the church while I go up closer, etc... I also plan to let them know about the church rules and mention the situation to the Priest (discreetly). <br>

Just wondering though... Do I dare mention anything to the bride? Is she really unaware that these friends of hers are planning to give her this "gift" or am I being completely naiive? The last thing I want to do is get her upset on her wedding day, but I feel a need to let her know that this has put me in an awkward spot. I fear she may ask me to use some of their photos in her album...I won't have a problem saying "no" though...that's when I can remind her of her of the exclusivity. Is there anything else I should be doing here? </p>

<p>If you know that the friend is shooting for a surprise gift to the bride, then that is one thing. Find out for sure. If this is the case, you should still do the following anyway, even if you don't mention it to the bride to preserve the surprise.</p>

<p>I would speak to the friend, telling them of your contract clause, the reason for it, and that being the case, you are asking them to cooperate with you re when and where they shoot, particularly during the ceremony, since you will have very little control once the ceremony begins.</p>

<p>If you shoot @ an all inclusive price and don't make money on prints aftwards it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans UNLESS they interfer with your formal shooting schedule during the wedding day.</p>

<p>If the client only wants you for formals, and you DO make income from prints sales, I'd stick to your contract as the only photographer allowed to do that work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've used associate photographers as second shooters, etc. and that is fine since I still own the copyright and can treat the images as part of the bride's product. But having two actual photographers (not just guest enthusiasts) running around capturing shots of their own sort of "steals" from my coverage of the wedding. I would feel silly going up to people to do poses and shots that the other couple just completed while I was doing another shot. As professionals being paid to be there, this is our "performance" and any kind of competition just changes the worflow and the total ambiance of the event. I would be constantly having one eye on them to see what they are up to. Consider explaining to the photog couple that you have an exclusivity clause and the only way they can shoot the wedding too is to sign a work for hire contract with you and pay them $10 as part of the contract. This way you own the copyright (why should they care if they are just doing this for the bride's benefit) and can use the images in the albums and as part of the presentation to the bride with her fully aware that their work is included. Maybe make their images displayed seperately. This is what I do with my associates' work. Their part of the wedding goes into a different online gallery. And if you ARE selling prints afterward, they would totally KILL your sales. And what happens if they decide to sell their prints too? They will have totally usurped your gig. NOT COOL.</p>