How to open .NEF files in Elements

richard_watt2

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I use Photoshop Elements 6.0 and am quite new to it. I use a Nikon D90 and would like to process the RAW NEF files in Elements.</p>

<p>I understand Elements can handle RAW files but I am unable to open them. I can see them when I go to open a file, but when I select one I get a message that says it can not open because it is the the wrong type of file.</p>

<p>I have also tried downloading the Camera Raw plug in, butthis does not help (maybe i'm doing something wrong).</p>

<p>Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone offer some advice?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Open up your Elements 6.0 in the "organize" mode, then select the image you wish to work on. You should see on the right a menu where you can select an edit procedure. (I'm not sitting at a computer with the program in it at this minute)When you select the edit it should respond with a separate window something to the effect "do you want to open this file" you hit yes and it should convert the file to a proper "format" or "depth" that can be utilized by the Elements program. You should be able to use all the tools in Elements at this point including the tool under "Filters" for correcting distortion....which is a pretty nice tool.</p>

<p> </p>