some monolight questions

kai_jones

<p>I am purchasing photogenic 1250 x 2 and i would like to invest in a wireless setup. i have a canon 5d and a 580exII. does anyone have any suggestions on what i need to purchase from here without breaking the bank? i also have a sekonic light meter- i remember in class someone saying something about it may have a chip in it for wireless setup but I was unsure of how this would work- could someone please explain. thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>The new Sekonic's have a chip in them to work w/ PocketWizards. PW's are the industry leader for wireless setups and the MultiMax has some features I've not seen on anyother brand. However, they cost an arm and a leg.</p>

<p>I'm not a Paul Buff fan, but... but... I'm buying the CyberCommander and CyberSynchs for my upgrade from infrared (cheap but line of sight and not good outdoors) to radio wireless. They are so much cheaper than PW's, and the range is still w/i what I need. I just hope in the future they add some of the MultiMax features I want :-)</p>

<p>There are some cheaper alternatives to PocketWizards but they're still the industry standard and have a flawless reputation. The Sekonic meters that work with wireless triggers only work with PocketWizards. It's a tremendously helpful feature on a flash meter so it would be a shame to waste it by going with something else. Since you've made the investment in high quality gear so far, I woudln't scrimp on the radio triggers.</p>

<p><em>"Since you've made the investment in high quality gear so far, I woudln't scrimp on the radio triggers."</em><br>

As an aside, I just realized this has nothing to do w/ monolights.</p>

<p>While a Sekonic light meter is tops, Photogentic Lights are good entry level lights, like Alienbees and Calumet. You can get a Cybersync for about 60% of the cost of a PW, and just use the transmitter off hot shoe w/ your light meter, or buy a cheap $60 additional transmitter and still be cheaper than going the PW route. Just as Devil's Advocate.</p>

<p>I use PocketWizards for my lights, I have also used Quantum Radio slaves. Both work well. I use PocketWizzards because they are built into my studio strobes.<br>

@ Nathan, I own one AlienBee Product the RingFlash. It is a good product for the price and customer service, but by my standards it is a little to fragile. I had two defective parts. If they shipped me out replacements that same day I contacted them shipped out the parts for free. If the customer service was not there I would not recommend their products.</p>

<p>The $100 or so more I paid for PW over other brands has been paid back many times over in time saved. There is no substitute for the convenience of being able to fire the PW from the meter. Also, many power pack makers and some monolights are coming with PW built in. </p>

<p>Don't be shortsighted on this. Bite the bullet now and get PW. They will integrate with the most product out there. Not to mention they just work and are the most reliable solution.</p>

<p>Don't forget to get a receiver (or two if not using the optical slave) also.</p>

<p>I'd personally get the slightly cheaper Pocket Wizard Plus II (w/ 4 channels), but it's only b/c I don't have a 580exII and would never shoot a speedlight only. You won't be able to take advantage of the MiniTT1's additional features when you are using the Photogentics. Assuming you might use the 580exII off camera w/ the PW and no other light at any time, then it's a good choice.</p>