Photography time? How long is to long?

tina___cliff_t

<p>I've been watching my share of wedding photography videos, and some of the BEST photographs in the videos seem to take the bride and groom to different locations to get shots of just the two of them. or the bridal portraits, sometimes formals too etc. One I specifically remember is them actually walking down the street through the city, stopping off at a alley, a coffee shop, and pictures at the ceremony site.</p>

<p>Also they have more than one assistant, a few lights set up etc. The few I've watched have quite a few different photographers so I'm trying to keep it general to get my point across.</p>

<p>Granted its a video so time is sped up for me, but I can't help but think. This must have taken at least an hour, if not more. To walk/drive to multiply locations would take the most time, not to mention set up and tear down of equipment .</p>

<p>That seems like a lot of time for the bride & groom to be away from their guests.</p>

<p>I know from reading posts on here most people take 20-30 min to finish up formals so people can enjoy the reception (depending on wedding size etc). And then they usually steal the bride & groom for 20-30 min. Which seems ideal.</p>

<p>Can you really have the bride and groom move around that much and still be quick? Or are the couples just more willing to take the time for the photography they paid for, even if it takes quite a long time to get everything posed & set up?<br>

I'm not trying to sound insulting (just to clarify), I'm just trying to understand. Some of the photographs are just jaw dropping, but then I think to myself...I wouldn't want to spend that much time away from people at my wedding (which is coming up...yay!)<br>

Videos included: Photovision, youtube, the library, etc.....</p>

<p>Hey there Christina! As a wedding photographer, I believe it is best to meet with your clients and talk these things over. Every bride & groom is different, and the timing of everything is best left to be discussed between the three of you to see what fits with their plans. <br>

That being said, you can always make suggestions based on the style photographer you are. For instance, since I'm a photojournalist, I usually suggest keeping the formal list simple and then stealing away from the crowd for about 30 minutes of casual portraits....but yes, you're right, locations need to be close by to stick with that kind of timing. It's never a good idea, in my opinion, to squeeze a lot of different locations into a 30 minute time slot. There are usually great spots right on site, but if you want to go somewhere different for pictures and still keep the timing under 30 min. just pick one location. Lighting can be set up in under 5 minutes.<br>

For those brides/grooms (like you) who love those creative portraits and want to do a lot of that, I usually suggest a photo shoot before the ceremony or even the day before (for those who are untraditional and don't mind seeing each other for the first time before the ceremony). That way you can all take a little more time without having guests waiting. Day after sessions are a big hit as well. <br>

Hope this helps!</p>

<p>The couples in the training videos are typically very interested in getting good images and tend to appreciate photography more than the average couple so I believe that they're happy to spend as much as 2 hours getting alot of the shots you talked about above.</p>

<p>As for the more typical weddings in my area: the formals after the ceremony in the church are about 15 - 30 minutes. It's also common to stop at a park (after the ceremony on the way to the reception) for some more group shots and some b/g "love" shots, perhaps another 30-45 minutes. At the reception it's possible to grab the couple for 5-10 minutes if you've got a nice sunset or other photo-op available.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5003801">Christina</a>, please remember that majority of these great photos you see in wedding instruction books were <strong>NOT</strong> taken on the wedding day. So, it is hard to get those relaxed, walking down the street through the city, stopping off at a alley, a coffee shop poses while the guests are waiting or bride is stressed out. Or a groom who does not want his photo made. To get those shots on the wedding day, you have to sacrifice other shots & time & have a willing bride & groom.<br />About your time question, some photographers have unlimited time at the wedding. If you offer that, be sure to charge accordingly. I have always had 4 hour time limit, our market is the $1000-1500 price range. I had a fee of $75.00/hr over the 4 hours. That took care of 2 things, 1-got you out of a boring or disgusting/repulsive reception early,, 2-made extra $$ if they wanted you to stay late.</p>

<p>Here in Minnesota the "formals" are almost always taken prior to the ceremony. The reason being that the bride and groom don't miss a thing, or keep their guests waiting. I've now shot weddings for 18 years and could count on one hand the weddings in which I've had to take the formals after the ceremony. Thank God.</p>

<p>I always schedule an hour with the couple and around 40 minutes with the family and wedding party. When working with the bride & groom I like to have a couple of locations picked out and then just let them hangout together and try to forget they're being photographed. Occasionally I will offer a suggestion, and every few minutes I'll ask them to "hold that pose" and look at the camera.</p>

<p>I also have a second shooter who will often be shooting from a different angle, and also cover anything nice while I'm switching lenses, or messing with a light, etc.</p>

<p>In the end, I've found there are three things that will make for superb images of a couple; 1) A relaxed couple who aren't afraid to be intimate in front of a camera. 2) A great setting with beautiful light. 3) Plenty of time!</p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>American weddings seem to place a different priority on the timing than do other cultures. Here, it's all about our guests, being seen, and the experience whereas in other cultures its more about the moments and memories photographed that are important. The photographers your talking about, my guess is Yervant and Jerry Ghionis, will not book a wedding unless the b/g give them their 1-2 hours of time with them alone and with the bridal party for creative shots. They also do not usually stay more than a couple of hours into the reception if they stay at all as those images get very, very redundant and are not what make these photographers famous. This is a business decission based on what kind of photographer you want to be and really, how much money you want to make as higher end brides will also demand that time as well.</p>

<p>How much time....we base everything on an 8 hour day, after that they pay for more coverage, at a premium, or pick a bigger package that has more time in it, usually at a discount.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention the hours I'm typically at a wedding.</p>

<p>My most common package includes 6 hours of coverage, of which 1 1/2 - 2 hours are spent prior to the ceremony photographing the couple, as well as the family & wedding party. This usually allows me to be at the reception for about an hour. If the couple would like additional time, it is billed at $475.00/hour.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the answers. Doing it BEFORE the ceremony sounds much more realistic, or even doing it on a different day. I got the impression from the videos that this was all done on the wedding day, and it blew my mind. I do beleive some of the videos did have Yervant and Jerry Ghionis in them, specifically one called Masters of Wedding photography. <br>

<br /> Granted the photos were just beautiful, I mean the kind that make you stand there with your mouth open taking it all in, but getting that shot during a wedding seemed like it would be intrusive and almost ruin the joy of a wedding. </p>

<p> </p>

<p><em><strong> I got the impression from the videos that this was all done on the wedding day, and it blew my mind.</strong> </em></p>

<p>As it should but, at least with Yervant and Ghionis, this is how they shoot each and every single wedding.</p>

<p><em><strong>Granted the photos were just beautiful, I mean the kind that make you stand there with your mouth open taking it all in, but getting that shot during a wedding seemed like it would be intrusive and almost ruin the joy of a wedding.</strong> </em></p>

<p>However, they demand that kind of time and their clients demand that kind of photography. There are clients out there for every style of wedding photography imaginable, you just need to pick the style you feel comfortable with and go for it.</p>

<p>My wife and I had had most of our couple and bridal party shots done before the wedding. We didn't want our guests to wait around and our photographer agreed. Heck if I ever actually get in to wedding photography as a business, or heck even doing it for a friend I would deffinitely recommend doing it before the ceremony if at all possible.<br>

Our ceremony was at 4:30 in the afternoon. I showed up with some of my groomsmen at the reception site (country club) at about 11am and my other groomsman (my now brother-in-law), fiance (fortunately now wife) and her side of the bridal part and our parents showed up just a bit after with the wedding photographer (who took getting ready pictures back at the hotel earlier in the morning). We spent about 2 1/2hrs doing photos with a break for lunch/snacks in there before heading to the church for the ceremony. It allowed the photographer a lot of flexibility in setting up shots and there was little pressure on us or him to 'hurry up and get to the reception'. The ceremony ended early enough to take a few pictures with the fading light coming in to the church which was basically almost all glass for the walls (it was early November back when day light savings time started before then)). Cocktail hour, for well an hour so that the photographer could do a few 'whole family' and her side/my side pictures and a couple of quick ones of us in the church and then we were off to the reception (probably spent 15 minutes taking pictures before we were off to the reception).</p>

<p>Doing most of the images before the wedding is great, as long as the b/g agree to see each other before the ceremony. Most here in the mid west are, unfortunately, more traditional and want to see each other at the ceremony. We knock out as much as possible before like the grooms side and then the brides side but then afterwards there is always the big group shots of everyone together. We get about 30 mins with the b/g before the reception but it seems they are always in a rush so we rush as well.</p>

<p>On a side note, doesn't it seem like the formals are always the most important but then are the least purchased?</p>

<p>Interestingly, I've found the opposite to be true. I shoot weddings primarily in Minnesota and have found that the bride and groom are almost always willing to see each other before the ceremony to get the formals out of the way. Since I started shooting professionally in 1991, I would estimate I've had to shoot the formals after the ceremony only one time per year. The rest were taken prior to the ceremony.</p>

<p>It's actually in my contract that I get one hour with the B&G and another with the family and wedding party. When couples ask about shooting them in less time I tell them this; "I can do a good job, or a quick job, but I can't do both!"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I usually educate my clients about the fact that good images need good lighting and also time to spend working with them. I recommend doing the formals on a different day. I prefer to do them before the wedding--days or even weeks before. That's something that is becoming a little more commonplace in Utah. If people don't want to see each other in their wedding attire before they get married, I suggest doing formals sometime after the wedding. I simply tell them that they will get more phenomenal images if we have more time and good lighting, and that time and schedule constraints on wedding days usually don't allow for this. <br>

I of course give people the option of doing formals on their wedding day, and tell them that it will be no problem making it work and getting good images. I just inform them that if they want a variety and large quantity of great images, it's best to do it on a different day. <br>

Some people like the idea, others don't; I leave the decision up to them. I prefer to do the formals on a different day, and as a small encouragement to do this, I tell clients that I'll do the shoot on a different day at no extra charge--I just reduce the amount of time out of their wedding day package that will be used doing the formals. </p>

<p>I usually educate my clients about the fact that good images need good lighting and also time to spend working with them. I recommend doing the formals on a different day. I prefer to do them before the wedding--days or even weeks before. That's something that is becoming a little more commonplace in Utah. If people don't want to see each other in their wedding attire before they get married, I suggest doing formals sometime after the wedding. I simply tell them that they will get more phenomenal images if we have more time and good lighting, and that time and schedule constraints on wedding days usually don't allow for this. <br>

I of course give people the option of doing formals on their wedding day, and tell them that it will be no problem making it work and getting good images. I just inform them that if they want a variety and large quantity of great images, it's best to do it on a different day. <br>

Some people like the idea, others don't; I leave the decision up to them. I prefer to do the formals on a different day, and as a small encouragement to do this, I tell clients that I'll do the shoot on a different day at no extra charge--I just reduce the amount of time out of their wedding day package that will be used doing the formals. </p>

<p>Same as many here... My couples dictate the agenda and priorities.</p>

<p>If I get a couple that want multiple locations - and a strong priority for lots of super couples shots - we plan for it.</p>

<p>None of my photos are done in church. 90% of the time we choose before the wedding - what locations are ideal or important to the couples. Here in the DC area that often means the Jefferson Memorial or a special park. Also many weddings are done at georgous historical properties or gardens. Some of the Churches as well like the grounds of the National Cathedral.</p>

<p>So - IF the grounds of the church are beautiful we do the group shots there and some couples shots... Then very often we'll drive to the Jefferson with either just the couple for some cool black and whites or the couple and the wedding party...<br>

After that - we're off to the reception and if the grounds are great there as well - we'll do a quick 10 min or so of shots.</p>

<p>This can take anywhere from 1 and a half to 2 hours. I work out the timeline based on "worse case scenerio" (traffic and/or closed streets due to parades or whatever). The couple can then decide if they will eliminate one of the locations or work it out so that the reception is 1-2 hours later than the end of the ceremony. We always have a plan A and a plan B which means we'll decide on the fly if we have to do two locatons instead of one. Or - if the schedule is too tiight - we just take advantage of the church grounds and do 10 min at the reception. If we're running late - the couple can decide to duck out of the reception for a quick session if the light is still good.</p>

<p>There are couples I get that want quick photos because the priority is friends and family but I have less of these than the former. In those cases - we do just one location and from 30 min to 1 hour depending on the size of the families and wedding party.</p>

<p>I very rarely do this before the ceremony. The 2-3 times I did - both the couples and myself were glad we did at least 15 min later - after the ceremony because the difference in emotion was palpable. Too much tension - sometimes obvious and sometimes subtle when before the ceremony. The joy - after the ceremony is just too good to miss.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm glad you said that Mary regarding the emotion after the ceremony as opposed to the tension prior to the ceremony. I would even say that I've had brides want to redo many of the groupings after the wedding that were done before the wedding because it "feels" better. </p>

<p>It's definitely high emotion after the ceremony ... I ask brides to leave "breathing spaces" in their time line ... I like the suggestion of creating a plan A and plan B too ... interesting.</p>

<p>In fact there are some weddings where the ceremony might be at 1pm and the reception location is not even available (won't let you in) until 5pm which leaves a huge gap to fill.</p>

<p>It ALL depends on what the couple wants. Its not a photoshoot. Its their day. So if they want to travel around to cool locations thats awesome for the photographer and the couple. Some bride and grooms simply want you to capture the day as it is. Not into the shots or photoshoot. Talk with the couple before hand and feel out what they want. :)</p>