Lens Choices for Uganda with Primates

macro_photofly

<p>I'm off in a short while to join a group trip to Uganda and was looking for advice from anyone who has been there (or the bordering countries with primate populations or perhaps just shooting primates in general).<br>

I shoot with a Canon 5DII and can choose from the following L lenses to take with me 17-40 (4), 24-100 (4, IS), 70-200 (2.8, IS), 100-400 (IS), 400 (5.6) and also a 1.4x. I've found them all useful in various situations, but I don't need to take them all on this trip, especially as certain locations may not have the security to allow them to be left in the tent/lodge while I'm out that day (i.e. i might have to carry everything all in my Lowepro backpack).<br>

I need to consider that the gorillas and chimpanzees will be the shots that will be key from this trip for me; And that there will be (a) heat/humidity (b) "several hour" treks in mountainous jungle to see them.<br>

However if anyone has been on a similar African rainforest trip and found there was other wildlife not to be missed while there, which affected their choice for lenses to take, I'm also keen to hear</p>

<p align="justify">I've never been in Africa, but the combo 24-105 and 100-400 will be more than sufficient, especially if you can mount those lenses on two 5DIIs. This way you'll avoid changing lenses on dusty or humid environment. The 24-105 is for general shots, the 100-400 for more distant ones. I don't think the 17-40 will be much useful for that matter. Just my opinion. Have a nice trip.</p>

<p>you are going to need fast telephoto lens of f2.8 or faster to photograph gorillas cuz the light is really dim in the jungle, the 70-200f2.8 will be good choice for that.</p>

<p>I have been there with 10D bodies, a 28-135IS and 100-400IS. You will probably be able to come near to the gorillas, or better, they will come close to you. 5D+24-105 IS will do the job. Gorillas choose open places in the forest, there will be plenty of light. For the chimpanzees you will need a longer lens since they will keep a distance. You might consider adding a 50D for more reach if you are going on safari as well. </p>

<p>What Falch said... a friend of mine's sister went on a very similar trip last year, with an XT and kit lens, ended up leaving the DSLR behind and using a point and shoot because her lens wasn't fast enough for the low light circumstances. Although I suspect photography skill may have played a part, because were it me, I'd have cranked up the ISO and shot happily away. Dust is going to be a problem too.<br>

After talking with her - both before and after trip - I'm convinced that several lenses would be in my bag... a 300 or 400 tele, a 24-105, and maybe the 100-300 you mention, although I would have considered the 28-300. (I know, you gave your list, just sharing my thoughts)<br>

Two things stick out from her complaints about her experience... low light, and having to lug the equipment into the jungle. They got very close to the gorillas. I suggested she rent a 1D and lenses for the trip, but that wasn't in her approach. If not for the little Leica point and shoot she had, things would have been unhappy. So I'd recommend you bring along whatever little P&S you might have as an backup-backup. Just in case.</p>

<p>I have not been to Uganda, but shooting orang-utangs in the rainforest of Sumatra would have presented similar issues. I had at the time a Canon EOS film camera with the 28-70 lens and somethign like a 50-200 (I think - it was 1991 and I can't remember too many details). Anyway, I was shooting with 400 ISO film uprated to 800 and in the daytime that gave a decent enough shutter speed under the trees (this was obviously the days before IS).<br>

You will be taken to see specific areas with the gorillas so getting close is a distinct possibility - friends who have been there say you can get to as close as about 30 feet if you are lucky. If chimpanzees are anything like orang utans, they will keep their distance and you will see them in the branches while they throw sticks at you and try to crap on your head. But one thing that struck me was how little wildlife you actually see in the rainforest - it is often too dark or too thick and the animals are generally shy. But I hope you strike lucky! </p>

<p>Really wide angles such as the 17-40 are too wide - there will be precious few times you can geta decent encough vista to warrant taking that lens, which leaves the 24-100 for the wide end.<br>

For longer shots I would be tempted to go wioth the 70-200 f2.8. It has that f2.8 option and from what I read adding the 1.4x tc gives the 100-400 a run for its money on quality. If you add to the mix that the 5DII has the pixel count to allow for some serious cropping, then I don't think you will miss the 100-400.<br>

And how about a monopod (you can get them now that double as extendible walking poles) with a head like Manfrotto's 234RC.</p>