Tripod for studio use?

marcphotography

<p>I have seen the big camera stands that most studios use but I cannot figure out what the point of them is. Can someone give me a good reason to have one? It is not like you are going to take many ambient light photos requiring a long shutter speed in a studio so why would you need a large studio stand?</p>

<p>Andrew, Shooting with large 8x10 /4x5 and medium format 6x7 2 1/4 cameras the studio stand was an essential tool for commercial illustrations and working to layouts. It allows very precise movements that can be locked down. Essential when inserting and pulling sheet film holders. Paired with a good head these movements could be made with fingertip control. It made repositioning and tweeking easy compared with fiddiling with 3 tripod legs. You can go from 6" off the studio floor to over 8' or more in height in seconds and rolled around to any area of the studio on casters that lock. Many feature trays to hold lenses, meters,film backs,loupe,CF cards,filters etc. We use a smaller 6' version with our digital SLRs and a joystick head in our busy Senior studio. It gives us very quick height adjustment and even a base that we can stand on to get us in a higher position. Camera stays exactly in position while we make quick adjustments of lighting,hair,props etc. It also is a little less of a trip hazard when things are busy than 3 tripod legs. And just for fun you can even surf around the studio on it ! Mark</p>

<p>Hey, surfing around the studio would be reason enough for me! <lol> I didn't ask the question, but figured it would be easier to keep the camera set up between shots. Your answer provided me with a much better understanding of studio photography. Thank you. Always interesting to learn something new about my favorite hobby/obsession.</p>

<p>Makes sense with a larger camera that you cant easily move around I guess. The reason I asked is because I am opeing a studio in my area and I just didint understand what the big deal was with everyone and their gigantic studio supports. It almost seems to me like it would be more limiting than helpful unless you wanted to get a shot from up high.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Andrew, I cannot imagine having to set up a tripod for all my shots. I use a Foba and it is just wonderful. Everything glides around instead of locking, unlocking, tightening, extending, yada yada. Totally worth the money over time.</p>

<p>All of the above plus: When shooting from a high position that needs a stepladder for the photographer, just try using a stepladder with a tripod. The legs get in the way and you end up having to lean. Neiher safe nor funny at 12'. That applies with any kind of camera.<br>

I have both and literally never use the tripod in the studio.</p>

<p>All of the above plus: When shooting from a high position that needs a stepladder for the photographer, just try using a stepladder with a tripod. The legs get in the way and you end up having to lean. Neiher safe nor funny at 12'. That applies with any kind of camera.<br>

I have both and literally never use the tripod in the studio.</p>

<p>Camera stands come on all sizes. You obviously need a big one for a 30# view camera, and a tall one for product photography. The advantage of a stand is in its ability to put the camera where you want it quickly, at any angle, and securely. The footprint of a stand is constant (and low), whereas the taller the tripod, the more floor space you need. On the other hand, a stand needs a smooth, level floor, while a tripod will work on nearly any surface.</p>