Portait Shots in low light/sunset

<p>Not sure if this question belongs in the lens forum, but I wasn't sure where to post.<br>

I love taking photos (personal family photos) at the beach and I would love to get some nice sunset portrait shots. I have the Canon Rebel EOS XTI. I don't have a large selection of lenses - I have the canon 50mm 1.8, my kit lens 18 - 55 and a Quantaray 70-300mm (which I wouldn't even consider). Upon doing research I have read about Flash Fill, unfortunatly my camera (I believe) does not have this feature. Does anyone have any suggestions on which lens would be the best to use for sunset portraits (again these are not professional - I am just taking shots of my kids - personal photos). I was actually thinking of getting the tamron 28-75 (not for sunset shots but for everyday shots outside in full light). Should I reconsider? Is there a more versitile lens out there that will do well in both full daylight, indoors and low light/sunset?<br>

Sorry for the silly questions. I hope I can get some feeback :D</p>

<p>Your 50mm will work great for what you need - and also your camera has fill flash capability. It's more or less a setting, not a certain function. (Side note: to use your flash as "fill," go into your flash settings menu and reduce the setting from '0' to '-1.5'. Turn your shooting mode to "Av," open your flash, and take some pictures. Try to keep your aperture seting between 2.8 - 4... that's <em>basically</em> how to use fill flash.)</p>

<p>I've used Tamron's 17-50, and I think it's in the same class as the 28-75. I wasn't impressed with it at all. It generally lacked sharpness and contrast compared to all of my other lenses, even a Tokina.</p>

<p>If you're looking for an all purpose lens and don't like how slow your zoom is, I've heard lots of good things about the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.<br>

All of what I just said is debatable and personal opinion ;)</p>

<p>I agree with Robert: Fill flash is a setting. However, I would caution you to the shutter speed you set. If it is too slow you are likely to get smears in case there is subject motion or camera shake. My recommendation is that you use shutter speed priority. For your 50mm lens shutter speed >1/50 (that is 1/100, 1/125 , etc.; when discussing in terms of fractions confusion is likely to occur). The camera meter is supposed to adjust flash output even if you do not reduce flash settings, but Robert may know better (I don't use fill flash a lot). Take a few test shots and see how they look. For portraiture I think 50mm is not the best. Around 100mm would be much better. I would stick to Canon or Sigma lenses.</p>

<p>i disagree with robert regarding the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens... i have used it with great success.... my copy takes super sharp images, almost on par with my 24-70L..... I would recommend an external flash to allow for more options while shooting.... you can get a 430ex for cheap used now a days.... I also shoot with the sigma 30mm 1.4 and it is a great low light lens.... can be tough for shooting kids though ( sometimes the zoom helps to frame moving subjects).... good luck with your search</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Upon doing research I have read about Flash Fill, unfortunatly my camera (I believe) does not have this feature.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uh, Teresa, do you shoot in aperture-priority mode (Av), and do you understand exposure compensation, flash exposure compensation and how to set them?</p>

<p>You gear is fully sufficient for shots like this, but an external Speedlite with high-speed sync can be useful in bright light/backlight situations.</p>

<p>If you shoot with the sun at your back right at sunset, you'll get nice yellow-reddish light. This is often referred to as Golden Hour. You won't need fill flash.</p>

<p>If you want to shoot into the sun you'll want fill flash. Put your camera into one of the creative zone modes (P, Av, Tv, M) and press the flash button. Note, your onboard flash is limited by (1) your synch speed, and (2) low flash power.</p>

<p>Synch speed. The maximum shutterspeed of your camera with the flash on is 1/200 s. Now sunsets are very bright, and if you point your lens towards the sun you may have to stop down to f/8 or more to keep shutterspeed at 1/200 or less. As such you're good to go with the kit lens, but the 50/1.8 will work fine too. If you're in Av and the shutterspeed is flashing, just close down some more. In P mode the camera will take care of things automatically.</p>

<p>Flash power. The onboard flash has limited power to light up subjects. More than most point-n-shoots but less than a 580EX or a studio strobe. This means that you'll be able to light up faces a few meters away from you. But if you got the telephoto lens on and you're trying to capture kids playing in the surf 30 m (100 ft) away then your flash won't do a thing and you'll get silhouettes.</p>

<p>FWIW I have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and mine's super super sharp.</p>

<p>Thanks you so much for all of your replies (not sure why I dind't get my email notifications as I have it set to notify me of replies) :D I will most likely be shooting into the sun so will need the "fill flash" <br>

I am so grateful for all of your advice on settings. I don't often use AV mode, but I wil definitely play around with it now. With this time of year, I will get a lot of practice as we are out and about a lot :D<br>

Thanks again for all of your replies. Oh I too have heard so many great things about the Tamron (which is why I was looking into it). But I am always open to new lens suggestions :D I just like one that is versitile and affordable (as I am just an amature taking family photos) - thanks again for all of your advice - I can't wait to get out this weekend and start shooting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Flash power. The onboard flash has limited power to light up subjects. More than most point-n-shoots but less than a 580EX or a studio strobe. This means that you'll be able to light up faces a few meters away from you. But if you got the telephoto lens on and you're trying to capture kids playing in the surf 30 m (100 ft) away then your flash won't do a thing and you'll get silhouettes.<br />FWIW I have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and mine's super super sharp.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Arie - do you think the Tamron could do this?</strong></p>