Need some help

<p>I want to start taking portraits, mostly outdoors.<br>

I own a Canon Xsi and a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens, along with a 430EX flash with umbrella and stand.<br>

My question is do I really need a light meter? Also if I am starting out do you have any tips for me that may help a newbie like myself get going.</p>

<p>In my opinion, no you don't need a lightmeter since digital allows you to see immediately if your exposure is correct or not. Even though you have flash and stand, you may want to think about a reflector - very useful for outdoor portraits. That and a good book. Something like <em>Minimalist Lighting</em> by Kirk Tuck will give you a great insight into portrait lighting using speedlights and reflectors.</p>

<p>You don't need a lightmeter - a reflector and a good book will be a better investment at first. Make some notes and take an additional picture of the whole setup (model, umbrella etc with it's surroundings) - it will help you to analyze the results later. <br>

georg</p>

<p>Hi Kevin. No, you don't need a light meter but you should become familiar with your camera's histogram to be sure you aren't under or over exposing.<br>

Your lens is very versatile. For portraits, I would avoid the widest end of the lens to avoid distorting and vignetting. If you have a family portrait and need to use the 28mm end, make sure you have the group well inside the frame.<br>

As Paul and George already mentioned, a reflector for outdoor portraits is going to be very useful - white foam board is a very good reflector in bright sunlight. Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p> </p>