DPP 3.6.1.0 slower quick check?

tom_berkowski

<p>I recently upgraded DPP to 3.6.1.0. I noticed today that quick check is much slower than last time I used it, but was earlier version of DPP. <br>

I'm not entirely computer literate, but at bottom of "My Computer," it says Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 @ 2.50 GHz. Memory 3.00 GB. Computer is about 9 months old.<br>

What have other DPP users experienced?</p>

<p>how did you get that version. I just got my new 5D mkII last week and it came with dpp 3.5.2.0. I figured it would have the latest?. Well, my 5year old computer runs dpp 3.5 fast!. With your computer specs you should have no problem, but I would increase the ram to 4GB possibly 8 if your motherboard allows it. Also, try and tweak the performance in control panes system folder for virtual memory. It might also help if you have no other programs running. It can be kinda complicated to maintain your PC if you are not computer literate, but your specs should do fine.</p>

<p>For me 3.6.1. is as quick as the version(s) before.<br>

It's not that simple that the version may is slower - as hard disk and hard disk cache etc pp will come into account also.<br>

Open all your images and walk them trough - close the quick view and reopen - you will see that this is much quicker then as the files are in the hard disk cache. Which is only true if you have enough memory available. Even though 3GB of RAM could be used by other apps.<br>

You may check/test this having all other applications closed.<br>

Eh it's W32 anyway? (I'm not sure if DPP is available on other platforms).<br>

Regards Axel</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been using DPP 3.6.10 for a few weeks and I thought it was a little quicker at both screen redraws and conversions than 3.5. A typical conversion from a 15.1MP RAW 50D to TIFF takes about 3 seconds on my 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro. On my 2.2GHz CoreDuo 2 MacBook Pro it takes about 15 seconds. My old G4 MDD takes about 40 seconds! So it's very processor intensive app.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how did you get that version.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It was posted on Canon's website a few weeks back.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>That doesn't sound right, Since you are using a laptop it might be that you ran out of disk space. Does it become faster if you set the view quality to "High Speed" in the preferences menu? How much free space do you have in the partition where DPP is installed? What version of Windows are you running?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for responses. I downloaded new version of DPP from Canon site.<br>

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=11933">http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=11933</a></p>

<p>I run Windows Vista. I'll try opening & closing trick that puts pictures in hard drive cache when I get back to my home computer tonight. I had just rebooted my computer, so other programs shouldn't have been taking up memory. I'll try that again, though. <br>

I have two 300 gb hard drives, so I should have room. Last time I checked (couple months ago), I had plenty of room and division between two hard drives was pretty even. I don't think I saved that many more pictures since then, but I can check.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>>I had just rebooted my computer<br>

That means nothing was in the disk cache! and is a common start up 'problem'.<br>

3GB is few on Vista - not much will remain for the disk cache.<br>

The larger the amount and file size of the images you select the more the disk cache will come into account.<br>

It's not that simple to have enough memory for the application loaded. Disk cache can only be taken out of the free memory - to put it into simple words.<br>

Invest into more memory - it's cheap and does 'enable' your disk cache, or more correct gives more to your disk cache.<br>

Good luck Ciao Axel</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I'm really not great with computers. My question remains whether new version of DPP is slower than previous version. Some have said no, others gave tips. I'll try those tips and generally try a few more times to see if I experience quicker use consistent with the reposponder who said new DPP was faster.<br>

I was using my existing computer with old version of DPP. It met my needs fine. New version has highlights & shadow adjustment, which are nice but not used very often. If I find new version is taxing my existing computer, I would rather downgrade my DPP rather than add hardware. If that's the case, I'll need to figure out how I find old version to change to...</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>Tom,<br>

The new version is definitely not slower than the old one. Your hardware is sufficient for running DPP at a reasonable speed unless your HDD is full or it is running slow because Windows is running some BG tasks. Windows Vista has a very bogus indexing feature that does nothing but slowing down your HDD, it periodically indexes the entire drive while you are running other apps. Make sure you turn this feature off, it's in drive properties. Also there might be a bug with the installation, you can remove DPP completely, then reinstall the original version and then do the update again.</p>

<p>@Arash<br /> >32 Bit Vista cannot address more than 3-3.5GB of RAM depending on the configuration of modules so adding more memory will not help you.<br /> I wasn't talking about one application memory, it's about the system RAM - - - go back and read.<br /> It is really hard to address the disk cache issue - one of the few Windows pro's is the performant disk cache compared to the other OS's<br /> I'll stop here now - Tom if you want to know more you can reach me via private mail.<br /> Regards Axel</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As follow up, everything seems back to normal tonight. First picture is a little slow to load but then it's smooth sailing after that. I didn't do anything different. Maybe something was running in the background yesterday even after reboot.<br>

Thanks to everyone for answers. </p>

• 5 months later...

<p>

<p>I bought a Canon 40d last year.</p>

<p>I switched to MAC and have a MBP under OS X 10.6.1<br>

Now I have problems with Download the Updates.<br>

info says "problem with Updater" and the process stopped. So I can not use DPP, EOS utility etc. (The software can be installed from CD, but not the updates!)</p>

</p>