Why no RAW in Careative modes - canon 40D

<p>Hi,<br /> <br /> I just bought a 40D instead of a Pentax I had for several month and although I find some benefits from the Pentax I totally do not understand why I can not use RAW at all times at all modes. Any idea why Canon should think that if one uses the creative modes then it should be idiot proof?<br /> <br /> thanks<br /> <br /> <br /> mic</p>

<p>You should (re)read the manual. Page 172 has a nice summary table. The Creative Zone is where RAW image quality is used; in P, Tv, Av, M and A-DEP modes. The Image Zone is for pre-programmed settings, for people who don't want to think about photography while shooting photographs.</p>

<p>RAW is not available in creative modes because CM modes have pre programmed presets, such as sharpness, contrast, brightness, color etc... RAW is purely RAW which means that all those setting can be adjusted later in DPP, lightroom, photoshop with the lates ACR etc... Creative mode is just for people that shoot download and output directly as is. I mainly shoot RAW in manual, but RAW is also available in Tv and Av modes. I dont know about the rest since I have never used them but it makes sense to me that those modes are for JPEG only. Read your manual, maybe it can make more sense to you.</p>

<p>Canon assumes that if you shoot in the "creative" (automatic) modes (tree, volcano, profile..) then you most likly arent one to post process those photos ... youre most likely going to just print them out like 90% of digi cam owners do. And, in RAW mode, with the camera in Fully Manual mode, With a little bit of practice, you dont need to shoot in these modes, anything these modes can do, you can do yourself on full auto. It is nice to have the RAW data but IMHO, its not that big a deal... I shot RAW for years and switched over to Jpeg recently, I process them in Adobe CS3 in the ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and they look every bit as good as my RAWs do. Just do not make ANY changes to the original JPEG file and yu'll never have to worry about IQ loss due to saving it over and over and over.<br>

Oh yeah.... the 5D doesnt have the "creative modes" because its considered a Pro Camera, the rest of the line down (40D,30D, 20D..) are consumer models.. or if it make anyone feel any better, PRO-sumer models ;)</p>

<p>Micha if using RAW in the noob/basic zone is important to you, return the 40D and buy a 50D. The 50D is a new and improved version of the 40D and it allows use of RAW in all modes, including the noob/basic zone. I don't give rat's arse about RAW in the noob zone but the 50D's remapped LiveView Button and ultra sharp LCD are worth the upgrade.</p>

<p>Incidentally, most of us don't understand why Canon includes the basic zone on a prosumer body. It's like shooting with a handicap I guess. But, hell yeah, you can shoot RAW in the 50D's noob/basic zone until the friggen cows come and you holler "mama". Progress is great, yeah?</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I happen to be partial to reverting to P mode in times when I've got more on my mind than settings. Used it just yesterday on the flowering tree to catch some bees buzzing around on the flowers. Set to P, point and shoot, process the RAW. Because avoiding getting stung is more important than futzing with the exposure, knowing I've only got a moment to catch the bee in place.</p>

I received the following response today from Canon Canada on the mountain vs. volcano question:

<p>    "The icon would represent a mountain with a cloud."</p>

<p>Thanks to Canon Canada for the quick reply.</p>

<p>I use P mode most of the time. If I'm not in need a particular aperture or shutter speed, I don't see the point of Av or Tv: they're both auto exposure as well, just with one of the variables locked by the user. If I want control over exposure I'll go straight to Manual mode.</p>

<p>To the original question, I think if the 50D allows Raw to be saved in creative mode, it confirms there really was no point to Canon's decision to lock this capability out on previous bodies.</p>

<p>To me it's akin to locking out aperture adjustment when the camera's on/off switch has not been moved up to the "hockey stick" position: helps nobody, and confuses and confounds everyone at some point.</p>