New England Foliage Conditions, Fall 1999

ShunCheung

This is a thread that I would like to keep around for a month or so

from late September to late Ocotober, 1999. Hopefully various

participants can provided updated information to it.

According to weather reports, leaf colors are beginning to change in

northern parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as of September 23.

However, during this past summer, it was very dry in many parts of

the north eastern US. I wonder whether a lot of leaves will just dry

up and drop off without turning into beautiful colors. Last year was a

very bad year for foliage photography. I wonder how this year will be

like.

The brusque answer: go to www.google.com and search for "foliage report". I saw hits for Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire (www.

whitemtn.org - which was mentioned on photo.net before).

More personal answer: I live in north central Massachusetts, and

some individual trees are already turning bright red/yellow. Every

Saturday I go to a local pond to shoot my annual "fall foliage

relected in the water" shot; as of last Saturday only a very

few trees had turned color.

The Maine foliage reports show things running a little late so far. Maybe a week or so behind a "typical" year, though that may change depending on the weather.

From what I've read it seems that a dry summer doesn't always mean poor fall foliage. It seems more dependant on the weather in late summer/early fall. I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks!

White Mountains, NH: this will be the first weekend with any appreciable amount of color. Snow has fallen (and melted) on Mt Washington, but generally there's been no frost yet. Shortsleeves weather persisting. I am not planning any time off for foliage photography for at least a week yet. Stay tuned.

From Southeastern NH: I've been getting the same information as Bob. A lot of people have been getting hung up on the drought potentially causing poor foliage. There was a severe drought in 1995 in Maine which I think was one of the best years ever. Sunshine, which we've had plenty of (remember chlorophyll!) is also important, as well as frosts, which we're just starting to get. Also, the White Mountains have not been nearly as dry as the rest of the State, and there's been plenty of rain lately. I wouldn't discourage people from changing their travel plans based on predictions of poor foliage solely on recent weather conditions. Was in southern Adirondaks last weekend and drove across southern Vermont-not much doing there yet either.

I'd be just a little careful of depending too much on reports from the "travel and tourism" web sites. They want visitors! Even if all the leaves had already fallen off the trees, they'd find a way to spin it so that it sounded like they hadn't! Fall foliage is a BIG money maker in some areas and they're not going to say ANYTHING negative about the prospects for a colorful fall.

First of all, thanks to everybody for the information. Bob has a good point that pretty much all New England states have some promotional web site for the "leaf peeping" season. If you go to Yahoo and search for "foliage," you'll get quite a few of those web sites. While they are informative, those web sites are semi advertistments (or should I say mostly advertistments). That was why I started this thread, and hopefully we can some first-hand information from photographers who can provide a more realistic picture.

I have been going to Vermont and sometimes New Hampshire pretty much every fall in the last 10 years or so. Last year's trip was a big disappointment. Had I known the condition beforehand, I probably wouldn't have gone.

Bob was right in saying that a dry summer doesn't mean a bad foliage

season. Remember last year? Record amounts of rain and not a very good

season for vibrant colors. I'm not a leaf expert but I think most leaf

peepers know that in Autumn, the loss of moisture and nutrients to the

leaf causes a slow down of chlorophyll production. Chlorophyll is the green pigment in a leaf. This allows brown, yellow and orange pigments called carotenoids to emerge from the leaf. Now this is something that you may or may not know. It's my understanding that cool autumn days and chilly nights but not freezing, have alot more impact on a brilliant foliage season. The cool autumn helps produce more anthocyanins in the sap. Anthccyanins are purple and red pigments that contributes to more brilliant color. I'm going up next week, so I'll have my fingers crossed for a cool autumn which has been about 50/50 so far.

I returned from Vermont today after a ten day trip. There is a decent amount of colour at least as far south as the Woodstock area - I didn't try further south. But the colour is localised. It can be great in one area and poor a mile away. Impressions from locals indicate better than last year. I'd say that the best is yet to come in most of the areas I've seen, but there is a fair amount of leaf-fall and it could be that the really strong orange and red on individual specimens could be a rarity this year. Nevertheless, we had a good trip and there's some good photographic opportunities.

I did the kancamangus on Saturday, then venturing as far North as Crawford notch. Conditiions were still about a week from peak, although there was some good color. Primarily yellows and oranges, reds do not seem as vibrant as usual, but that may due to the pre-peak conditions. Color is better than last year, but not up to standards in the past. Everything is about 1 week later than normal. Still worth the trip

Did Pinkham notch and the Kancamangus today-I agree with Charles, close to peak in Pinkham/Crawford Notches, probably another week or so on the Kanc. Overcast day with white skies and no wind, good day for in the woods stuff doing the stream and leaves thing and macro. Dusting of snow on the high peaks, at the top of the pass on the Kanc, everything was lightly crusted in ice which made for some interesting photo-ops. Supposed to get a hard frost tonight which may help move things along. Tons of tourists, lots of cameras, wide angle shots will really test your patience as they wander into your shot, but thats par for the course this time of year. Get started early, and drive carefully-there was yet another moose/multi-car pileup this morning on I-93.

• 2 weeks later...
Sandwich, Wonalancet & Tamworth on Saturday 16th. Fall color *can* be spectacular without reds. Benton, Haverhill and Tenney Mountain Highway Sunday 17th, just a fraction after peak. Maples in the "Upper Valley" (Connecticut River from of White River Junction to the Ammonoosuc) holding brilliant orange-yellow leaves well.