Secondhand OM Lenses Zuiko or OM Fit

chris_smith23

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>My current OM setup includes an OM 4 body (primary) and OM 10 body (backup) with the following lenses (all Zuiko's) 28mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.8, 135mm/f3.5, 200mm/f4 and 35-70mm/f4.</p>

<p>However I'm interested in purchasing some additional lenses, ideally a macro or portrait lens. Ideally I'd like to get something around the 80-100mm focal length. Cost wise my budget is limited, so realistically I don't think I could afford to spend over £100 on a single lens. Can anyone here recommend where someone living in the UK could get a descent second hand lens from? </p>

<p>In the past I've used APM Cameras (Newcastle), Bonsers (Newcastle), Ace Cameras (Leeds) and FFords (Scotland), but they're ranges seem to be getting smaller and more expensive (hardly suprising I guess). I've also tried eBay, but its hard to guage lens quality is hard to gauge from the phot's and sellers sometimes.</p>

<p>Would it be worth me looking at KEH.com what happens about declaring duty etc? Are there any other alternatives to KEH.com. Also I don't really know much about the 3rd party lenses from the era, who's good and who's not?</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Chris</p>

<p>Hi Chris,<br>

Check this olympus shared resource site out for specifications on all lenses. I find it a very useful site when looking at purchasing lenses. It does have a section on macro lenses.<br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/index.htm</a><br>

In terms of macro you may want to try extension tubes first. They are very cheap option and can be picked up from most second hand sites. I started with these first before moving on to dedicated macro lenses. You may also want to consider lighting if you are serios about macro photography.<br>

The sites you have listed are also ones I mostly use, although Ace cameras does have outlets in Bath and Bristol as well. The other UK sites that I check are Nicholas Cameras & Fotofrenzy Limited.<br>

The other store I also use is on ebay, powerseller is olympususa.<br>

Long live OM film.<br>

Regards<br>

Pete</p>

<p>For a Macro you probably aren't going to find much in that focal range for the price you are wanting. You may be able to find a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 adaptall macro lens and the OM mount for around that price. For Ebay, just look for anything that has decent pictures. So long as the seller has at least some feedback (and almost all good) and the pictures appear clear enough to be able to guage anything I'll go for it.<br>

For 3rd party lenses in my experience most of the Tamron Adaptall lenses were good, you can find more information here <a href="http://www.adaptall-2.com/">http://www.adaptall-2.com/</a> in addition Sigma made quite a few really good 3rd party lenses as did Tokina. Vivitar had a few, but some also were really bad. Beyond that I wouldn't go with a 3rd party lenses from anyone else (only Tamron, Sigma, Tokina or maybe Vivitar). Not a whole lot of people have 3rd party lens information in terms of what is quality and what is crap.<br>

I have opinions and a bit of test data on a number of lenses on my blog if you want to check it out. As you may have noticed I tend to favor the Sigma stuff. Sigma has produced some relatively unique stuff over the years, or at least unique for OM mount. Example is the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 lens. It is quite sharp and faster then any Zuiko 28mm lens (even if it is only by 1/3rd of a stop). They also produced a 28-70/2.8 and a 70-210/2.8 (the former should be showing up at my door step today, the later I already have and it is excellent).<br>

Another option for a Macro lens is the Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 macro. It goes to 1:2 and by most reports is pretty sharp and is small. You could also look at the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro (have one of those). It is super sharp and can go to 1:1. For a bit more info about 50mm macro choices in OM mount you can see that section on my blog. Not that I am pushing them, but B&H does have a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro use at the moment in OM mount and it should come in below 100 pounds shipped I'd think.<br>

B&h photo and video and Adorama also both have good used equipment and excellent reputations.<br>

My blog is<br>

<a href="http://omexperience.wordpress.com/">http://omexperience.wordpress.com/</a></p>

<p>Hi Chris,<br>

When I got back into photography a few years ago I found this website to be very helpful:<br>

http://web.archive.org/web/20040413050059/medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html<br>

I bought a Vivitar f2.8 135mm Close Focusing lens of off Ekbay. It was mislabelled so got it cheap. This goes to 1:2 and is great for butterflies. Also look for a Vivitar 2X macrofocusing teleconverter. This with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 gives a 100mm f3.6 and goes from infinity to 1:1. Is also a very good 7 element 2X teleconverter. These can be found quite cheaply on Ekbay. This would be great way to try macro inexpensively. Back in the early 80's Modern Photography (US) tested it against a 100mm f4 micro Nikkor and stated there was little difference between them. The only downside to third party lenses are they are big and heavy compared to Zuiko's.</p>

I would also suggest ebay. If the seller has good feedback and displays good photos then that is an excellent start. You can ask questions (e.g. any dust on the internal lens surfaces etc.). Most sellers give obviously honest answers and if I sense any evasion, I leave well alone. If you are patient, any lens you are looking for will eventually turn up again on ebay so you don't have to buy the first lens that comes along. Also, if the description or the reply to a question clearly states something which turns out to be mistaken, you can return it. I bought a lens that turned out to have a little fungus on an internal lens element. The seller had stated 'optics clear'. I sent him a digital photo of the problem and we immediately resolved the problem amicably. There are no certainties in life but I'm very comfortable using ebay in the way described.

I also like Ffordes. Their prices seem reasonable even if they are higher than ebay. They wander around with headphones on so are able to quickly find the item you are interested in and, I've found, give very accurate descriptions.

As for lenses, you might consider the Zuiko 35-70 f3.5-4.5. It's reputed to be a better lens than the 35-70 f4 and it does have a macro setting (close focus 0.42m vs. 0.75m for the f4). The Zuiko 100mm f2.8 has a good reputation, in fact some web reviews are very positive. They sell for £40-70 on ebay.

<p>For the money the Tamron 90mm is hard to beat. I've had one a while an use it on my OM-1 and OM-G. Being from the Adaptall series I also can use it on my other systems. Another good short tele macro is the Sigma 90mm f2.8. I bought a NOS model from Abe's for 60USD to fit Minolta MD. Tamron also has a 90mm f2.8 Adaptall that is a later model, but it is more expensive.</p>

<p>you should be able to pick up a zuiko 100 f/2.8 for less than 100 pounds. Great value for money lens.</p>

<p>I'm in Australia and I buy stuff from KEH, never had to pay duty, you have much better guarantee of quality, i've bought a couple of lenses from ebay that have been questionable quality, you can pick up a bargain but you don't really have any fallback if the lens has fungus or scratches</p>

<p>Chris, if you can't flush out a clean 100/2.8 within your budget on eBay I'd be suprised. Prices vary, I've seen them go for less than 50 quid and more than 120 but typically 60-85. Set up a search that will email you when they are listed so you can swoop first on a BIN. It's a great lens, I wish I hadn't sold mine (and that's from an 85/2 owner!). If you can afford to be patient you could restrict your eBay search to driveable distances and wait for something to come up that you could check out before you spend.<br>

Most of my favourite portraits have been done with the 50mm, though this might be because I prefer shooting waist-up instead of headshots. My favourite portrait photographer, Jane Bown, has used an OM-1, 85/2 and Tri-X almost exclusively since the 1970s to great effect.<br>

I'd suggest you go to eBay or pay the premium at somewhere like Ffordes or MXV, who have 12 month warranty. I'm sure KEH are fine but you'll have import duty and extra hassle returning anything. And the exchange rate is not good for buying from the USA at the moment.<br>

a high quality 2-element converter for close-up work? Olympus made them as part of <a href="http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/is-series/is-series.htm#iS/L_Macro_Converters">the iS-system</a> with OM-compatible 49mm and 55mm filter thread fittings. I have both sizes (in fact I have a second example of the 55m fit one) and they seem extremely good. Although I have the Zuiko 50/3.5 the only close-up work I do is flowers and I prefer working with a longer lens (135 or 65-200mm) and the converter.</p><div>00TJDe-133141584.jpg.247e8438776fc1802ff50e503d3b162f.jpg</div>

<p>One thing I didn't mention is that if you're accustomed to (and like) Zuikos, especially the primes, then you'll never be 100% happy with any third party lens.<br>

And the final paragraph (what happened to the breaks?) should begin "Have you considered a high quality 2-element..."</p>

<p>Thanks for you all your responses.</p>

<p>I'm now in a couple minds over what to do. The first option being to buy a 2x teleconvertor in order to covernt my 28mm/f2.8 and 50mm/f1.8 into a 56mm and 100mm euiqvalent. Plus looking a the cost of teleconvertors, I can probably afford to buy an extension tube as well. The second option to be to wait it out and try and pick up a Zuiko 100mm/f2.8 or a Sigma or Tamron 90mm/f2.5.</p>

<p>First question, how many stops would I loose with a teleconvertor, or does that depend on the make? Which make should I look out for and which should I avoid? With regards to the extension tubes, I understand that they reduce the focusing distance, but is there anything I should be aware of if I'm going to use a tube on a 28mm/f2.8 or 50mm/f1.8 lens? If I went for a 14 or 25mm tube would it make the focusing distance too short?</p>

<p>The other question, does anyone know what the minimum focusing distances are on the Zuiko 100mm/f2.8 or the 90mm Sigma or Tamron? I'm guessing they're somewhere around the 1-1.5m mark?</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Chris</p>

<p>teleconverter is a good option. Keep in mind you'll loose speed, and also you degrade the quality of the glass to whatever is in the teleconverter. You will loose sharpness and speed.</p>

<p>So with a 2x convertor, effectively your 28mm/2.8 will become a 56mm/5.6 or something like that and your 50/1.8 will become a 100/3.6 or something like that</p>

<p>Also keep in mind, the olympus convertors say that you're only supposed to use them with certain lenses. look here for more info http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/lensgroup/2xa.htm</p>

<p>min focus on 100/2.8 is 1m</p>

<p>Any 2x converter, whether 4- or 7-element, is only intended to work with 50mm or longer lenses, preferably longer. IMHO you'd be wasting money that would be better put towards the 100mm. Closest focus on the 100mm is 1 metre so magnification is almost as good as the 50mm. There really aren't any shortcuts to getting decent kit.</p>

<p>14mm extension tube on 50mm will get you to between 1/3 and 1/4 life size, 25mm around 1/2 life size. Chart <a href="http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/macrophotogroup/auto_extension_tubes.htm">here</a></p>

<p>I don't like to sound like a salesman but, having tried ext.tubes, I prefer using a high quality converter on an 85 or 135mm lens (formerly with the 100mm). It's less fiddly to use, you won't need any exposure modification, there's no loss of viewfinder brightness and it's the size of a polarising filter.</p>

<p>"actually a zuiko 90mm f/2 macro would meet his requirements perfectly as a macro and a portrait lens."</p>

<p>Actually Tim I'm not sure it's what I would call a portrait lens. I've got fantastic results of young children with their flawless skin and old people at ease with their wrinkles, but anyone in between wont thank you for drawing attention to their thread veins. It's very surgical in that respect. But with a baby the large aperture lets you get crystal clarity on their eyes with the tip of their nose nicely out of focus. It's a very appealing effect. Fantastic macro lens though.</p>

<p>"Problem is he won't get it for under 100 pounds"</p>

<p>I'm willing to let mine go for a couple of pounds if anyone is interested. Gold or platinum, I'm not fussy.<br>

I really like the OM telescopic extension tubes. They retain full lens functionality and they're great when your out and about. There still seems to be a few knocking about.</p>

<p>hi kieran<br>

i am definitely interested. just started using all my zuiko gear with the sony a100 dslr body and an adaptor. the learning process is steep as older lenses which were designed for film take a while to get used to at the post processing stage, when used with a dslr body, however, the results are quite astoundingly pleasing at times. i'd certainly be interested in your 90mm as the zuiko 100mm 2.8 is my favourite lens and i'd love to have something a stop faster than that.</p>

<p>Hi Kieran, you should be aware that the 90/f2 macro is a fairly sought after lens and it's common for them to sell for above $500US (Ebay buy it now prices are around $800US). That being said if you're willing to let one go for a steal then you'll have plenty of interested parties on this site. If you can post to australia I'd also be interested ;)</p>

<p><em>Mounting third party lenses on an OM4 or OM3 can shear off the spot meter reset post on the camera's mount.</em><br>

There is a risk of this but it is only with older versions of the Adaptall-II OM adapter and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone I know.<br>

IIRC (and don't quote me) but later versions, with different screw head positions, are OK. You can check whether the sunken screw is aligned with the OM-4's reset pin when fitted by holding it up to the camera, and if it does then one suggested solution is to drop a blob of epoxy resin in the offending orifice to make it flush with the rest of the face.</p>