Nikon D50 backup - what point n shoot?

<p>I'm looking for a backup point n shoot that uses the same kind of memory cards (SD) and battery (EN-EL3E) as my D50.<br>

I currently use a GR Digital mainly to take shots when working with a film crew. It's quiet so I can shoot even when the camera is rolling, so this is why I don't need another dSLR body.<br>

That said, I'm also looking for a newer Point n Shoot.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Russ Harris</p>

<p>LX3 OEM battery model number is CGA-S005A.</p>

<p>I also have an aftermarket backup battery for it, battery from Amazon. Part number as shown on the battery is B-9709, with seems to be a a direct replacement for the OEM battery.</p>

<p>R.T. my compact ran out of battery power the other day and while I had a spare battery for my D50 on hand it obviously wasn't going to fit.<br>

I remember reading that the newer Canon Powershot G-series used the same battery as their entry- and midrange dSLRs and wondered if Nikon did as well.<br>

The solution is to get a spare battery for the Ricoh (or switch to Canon - but that's not going to happen - LoL)</p>

<p>What about a point-and-shoot that takes AA batteries? AAs are always readily available, pretty much anywhere in the world. My Pentax DSLR takes AAs and I normally use either Lithiums or rechargeable NIMHs, but plain old alkalines will work in a pinch.</p>

<p>Here are some currently-available point-and-shoots that take AAs:</p>

<p>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php?search=1&manSearch=0&resSearch=0&lcdSearch=0&storageSearch=0&priceSearch=0&cameraTypeSearch=1&zoomSearch=0&lcdTypeSearch=0&batterySearch=1&submit.x=22&submit.y=7</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Forget about any perceived "need" for interchangeable batteries and cards. They don't have anything to do with the functionality of the camera. Check out the Canon G9 and G10 and then buy one or the other. They are the best semi-pro point and shoots on the market. Carrying an extra set of batteries and a card that fits in your wallet is no particular inconvenience when in the field.</p>

<p>R.T., thanks for the link, but I don't think any of those cameras is on a par with the GR D in terms of semi-pro functionality. The PowerShot SX110 IS would make a nice travel companion though.<br>

Thomas, thanks for the tip. I've slipped two batteries in my bag already.<br>

CPeter, thanks, I will check these models out.</p>

<p>Having done some research I decided to buy a used G9 for $350. In Israel new G7s, 9s & 10s go for nearly double this.<br>

I'm attracted by the G9's zoom (range), viewfinder and ability to shoot RAW shots under 10 seconds. Of course having functionality available outside of the menu - the C1 & C2 custom settings & the ISO is a bonus.<br>

One quick question: on my Ricoh GR D I manage exposure comp. using an external rocker switch and a live histogram. Can I do this on the G9?</p>

<p> </p>