Recent/current trends and influences on portrait photography

<p>I wondered if anyone has experienced, in the past 20 years, many different trends or influences that have changed portrait photography. Has there been different lighting techniques popular during various time periods, has there been any other influences that have perhaps changed the style through the years like fashion/make-up, glamour shots etc.</p>

<p>In my experience we went from needing 8 lights for a portrait down to 3, and then to 1 or 2. Now it is starting to go back up again. Also, it's not a style revolution but the advent of hotshoe strobes off camera has been huge. </p>

<p>Retouching tools have changed so retouching has changed. Some things that were once done with "tricks" with film, like cross-processing, are now done on the computer. So much of the "look" of portraits, especially in the commercial realm, is now done after shooting. I haven't seen that much change in lighting, although I don't see as many obvious softbox catchlights as I did ten years ago.</p>

<p>Wanting to copy the "look" of current fashion/portrait/ work is like chasing a mirage since, as Jeff observed, it's post-exposure where the deed is done. That said, having seen a few Avedon printer's proofs leaves little doubt that, tools aside, this has long been the case for avant garde work. Another perceptual variable is the massive change in printing technology over the past 20 years.</p>