Back-up or more glass

<p>I have a 40D that I haven't really put to use as of yet. I also have a EF-S 17-55 f2.8 and EF 85 f1.8<br>

Having been used to 35mm film, my initial intent was to acquire a FF digital camera such as the 5D MKII and use the 40D as a backup. I prefer to shoot landscape and architecture rather than portraits.<br>

I love the IQ of 4X5 large format but to move to LF would require a rather sizeable investment in camera and lenses (dark cloth, film holders, loupe, etc.). The camera I have in mind is a Chamonix 45n-1. I would probably start with a Rodenstock 150mm so that I could learn camera movements. <br>

So now I'm wondering if I should invest in another lens at this point to supplement the two I already have and just save up for a 5D MK II. <br>

At this point, I'm really undecided.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>that I haven't really put to use as of yet</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Honestly, you sound like you're floundering. You need to use what you have and learn it thoroughly before you acquire a lot more equipment at great expense. Either that, or cut your losses, sell off the "kleinbild" (small picture) equipment and just decide to go large format, if that is really what you want. You'll need to get some darkroom stuff to at least develop the negatives and a good flatbed film scanner as well, if you want to use the pictures digitally.</p>

<p>I don't think that there are many places, even in large cities, where they will develop large format film for you these days. Darkroom items, such as large format enlargers, are usually pretty cheap because the stuff is so heavy to ship, so can practically only be sold reasonably locally.</p>

<p>I suggest you apply a regimen of strict self-control for at least two months. Using your 40D and fine 17-55/2.8 + 85/1.8 lenses, go out at least once every two days and take lots of photos. Learn what your current gear can do and can't do, and then decide where next to go. Don't let "what is possible" distract you from what you can do now.</p>

<p>"you sound like you're floundering ..."<br>

Not exactly, I just have a lot of photographic interests. To be honest, the 40D was purchased to be used for astrophotography, rather than spend big bucks on a CCD imager.<br>

As I said, I'm used to shooting 35mm film (which I still have). You'd be surprised at the number of places there are that still do film processing.<br>

I do admit that I should use what I have and shoot more but I have a severe case of G.A.S</p>

<p>You say your interest is landscape and architecture. You say you are used to film, and you now have a crop factor camera with a 17-55mm lens that you haven't really put through their paces yet. My guess is that you are missing a true wide angle lens - which a 17-55mm is on FF, but not on a crop factor camera. If that sounds about right, get yourself a 10-22 - which is an awesome lens - and start taking photos. Chances are you will never miss FF, or find the quality lacking.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As I said, I'm used to shooting 35mm film (which I still have). You'd be surprised at the number of places there are that still do film processing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>35mm C41 - sure.<br /> 35mm E-6 - ok<br /> 35mm b&w - rare<br /> MF - rare<br /> LF - wat?</p>

<p>40D and those two very good lenses will replace 35mm easily but it's nowhere near 4x5 so shoot both and be happy.<br>

But If you really want to buy something ultrawide zoom may be fun and useful.</p>

<p>Hi Dwain<br>

In general I would echo the calls for restraint, and getting to know your first digital camera before splashing out on another. Why do you want a back up camera? I used film cameras until recently and when I shot film, a second camera was one of the first things I would buy when using a new system. This was to enable me to have b/w fim in one and colour in the other. In theory it would enable me to have a backup in case one went wrong, but that rarely happened. And it sounds like you have other photographic machinery to cover that eventuality. Obviously, with digital the need to dedicate different bodies to different films no longer exists. You can change ISO, colour and everything else from shot to shot. It's great! ( I wanted to put multiple exclamation marks at this point to emphasise how great it is but the system wouldn't let me. "one is enough" it rather pompously told me.)</p>

<p>I know nothing about large format photography, but moving into that area may be cheaper than you think. Ken Rockwell's site isn't to everyone's taste (I like him), but his views on view cameras are interesting. Here's a link, but he basically says that with LF you can get away with much cheaper and older lenses because of the inherently massive quality of the format.<br>

<a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/4x5.htm">http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/4x5.htm</a></p>

<p>Anyway, enjoy yourself.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Alan</p>

<p>I've read Ken's take on the Tak. I think the Shen-hao would be a better choice and told him so. As for the 10-22 hmm ... now there's a thought. I was actually considering maybe the 70-200, but the 10-22 would give me a wider zoom.<br>

I've done a somewhat cost anaylsis on the LF. I don't think it would be cheap, even with used gear. That's why I was thinking the 5D MK II might be a better way to go. From what I could gather, I'd spend as much getting into LF as it would just to get the 5D MK II body.<br>

Think I'll take a look at the 10-22. Is that an L series lens?</p>

<p>The 10-22 is not an L series, but the IQ is quite good. Should be similar (stopped down a bit) to your 17-55. If you need to buy something, that would be my suggestion as well since you are big on landscape. Shoot that and the 40D for a while, then make some massive prints from your best work in a few months time, and make your decision about acquiring/trading up to LF and what it would actually benefit you.<br>

<br /> There's a "forum problem" forum to post to if it indeed keeps doubling up.</p>

<p>I carry a film camera as backup - so a 1V is backup to my 5DII. The rate of evolution of bodies is so fast that they are rapidly obsolete. I would spend the money on glass - a word of caution is that if you are thinking of going full frame you may want to only buy full frame lenses - this precludes the 10 - 22.</p>