What would you do with a small indoor space?

flicker

<p>Hello all,<br />I have a simple question. I have a spare room in my flat that I've been using as a studio for portraits and its been going well. So well in fact that I want to really want to optimize the space to bring a professional appeal for clients who come to my home without breaking the bank. The space is only 9ft by 10ft and has 2 large bay windows that bring in a lot of light although, I do use a speedlight w/ umbrella/softbox as well.<br>

Now the question: If this was the only space you would be using 90% of the time, what gear could you not live without? I dont want to say what I already have because i want to compare and see how close or far off i really am.<br>

Thanks in advance</p>

<p>I would do the same things I did with a biger space only it would be more crowded. You can do professional level portraits in there, with limitations. The 10, is a big limit. If you put up a background and a light on it, that takes about 3'. The subject takes 2 more, and you should be about 4 feet from the subject. That leaves 1' for you. If you paint the background on the wall, or attach it directly to the wall you can save some space. If you get just a little closer to the subject, maybe 6" you get 2 1/2 feet fro you. Just barely enough, but it will be crowded and you won't be able to use really long lenses. Another solution is to use a diagonal layout.</p>

<p>Bruce pretty much nails the answer to your question. I have another concern that you didn't ask about, but here it is anyway: insurance.</p>

<p>If you are seeing business clients on your home property, I hope you are properly insured. Your homeowners' policy will not cover your liability should some mishap befall a client who comes to your home for business purposes. This is true as well if you're renting the place: renters' insurance won't cover it either.<br /> <br /> Better check on this, unless you relish being bankrupted by a liability judgment.</p>

<p>Michael is very right about insurance, and I will also add that your homeowners won't cover your camera equipment if you are using it professionally. My business insurance is about $40 a month, and covers $20k worth of equipment, and $1 million in liability, plus a bunch of other coverage I probably don't need (like signage, cash on premises (hah!), etc.)<br>

For the setup you describe, I wouldn't go without some black cloth to cut down on bounce, as well as some blackout curtains. There will be times when you want a more control over your light, and if your walls are all painted white, all that light bouncing around won't help you much. If your walls aren't painted white, black or neutral gray, but are instead some sort of color, I would also take care of that right away-colored walls can give you a funky color cast. <br>

Another cheap accessory is some sheets of foamcore to act as reflectors and flags. I would get some black sheets of foamcore too-when shooting men, you sometimes want a more sudden fall-off of light, and you can use black foamcore to achieve that. To hold your foamcore in place, some articulated arms would be very handy.<br>

A softbox and umbrella are a good starting point-I would also want a second flash with a snoot and grid to use as a rim/hair light.</p>

• 4 weeks later...