Lens requirements

<p>When purchasing a lens, do you guys require that it be at least as fast as f/2.8? I help a wedding photographer and have a growing interest in the field and was wondering if it's a waste to spend money on something that is say f/3.5-4.5 through the focal range. I'm specifically speaking of the Canon 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 (I'm aware this lens is for a smaller sensor camera).<br>

<br /> Thanks for any suggestions.</p>

<p>f2.8 is not necessarily required, although the slowest glass i own is 2.8, and I don't know that I would get a slower lens. I can't say it is a requirement, though-there are photographers out there doing great work with lenses that aren't f2.8. I think more important than that is a constant aperture through the zoom range-the 24-105 f4 is a great lens, as is the 70-200 f4. Having to adjust your exposure when you zoom in or out is not a good thing if you're shooting a wedding. At the super wide angle, you don't need the fast aperture as much to avoid camera shake, but it is still very helpful for freezing motion.<br>

You might want to consider the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Or, you could get the Tokina 12-24 f4, or 11-18 f3.5-f4.5. Canon doesn't offer an ultra-wide constant aperture lens.</p>

<p>I agree with A. Davis, all else being equal, a constant aperture marks high quality glass. For professional use I would always want a constant aperture alternative (but since I can't afford a Nikon 200-400 f/4 I am toying around with the idea of the 80-400 f/4.5-5.6!). And after having owned a Canon 10-22 and a Tokina 11-16- I can say the Tokina is a superior lens. This shot was taken last night with the 11-16. Marvelous lens to have.</p><div>00TIYd-132871684.jpg.0e0df7a0e5ce47c3f142db9bcaf6eed2.jpg</div>