Torn between AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED and Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

ignatius_dotsey

<p>My friend's wedding is coming up and he asked me to be his second photographer(He has hired a professional already and I am only a 'serious hobbyist' that would eventually like to go into wedding photography one day once I build enough confidence etc). I have the following equipment and would like to buy one more lens but confused as hell which one to buy:<br>

Nikon D3 and a back up D200<br>

Nikon 50mm f/1.4<br>

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR zoom lens<br>

Nikon 24mm f/2.8D<br>

I have a budget for one of the Nikon Magic Trio/Trinity glasses and will be primarily be using my D3 body. Which of the following, (in your professional opinion), would you suggest I buy? AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED or Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED? Or if you have any other suggestions?Thanks!</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="8">

<tbody>

<tr bgcolor="#ccccff">

<td valign="top"> </td>

<td> </td>

<td valign="top"> </td>

<td width="100%"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p>

The 24-70 will be a more versatile lens for general and wedding type photography. The primary reason you'd want the 14-24 zoom is for the 14mm I imagine, and in my mind that wouldn't be all that great for wedding shots, but you could get creative, I suppose. With that said, the 14-24/2.8 is one superb lens. It is awesome from corner to corner, side to side, anywhere to anywhere, even wide open. I think you'd be better with the 24-70 at this point; get the last of the trinity later.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

<p>you're in good shape for a wedding with the exception of the medium zoom. the 14-24 would be nice to have, but not especially useful for this application. i don't carry my 24-70 around every day, but for a wedding i wouldn't be without it.</p>

<p>I would also recommend the 24-70. That lens alone you will use 95% or more of the time. I shot backup like that at my brother in law's wedding and used a 24-70 the entire time. On a small sensor of course. I think that range is perfect for most of your wedding shots. Maybe a fast long lens like the 70-200 would be good to add later for shots from the back of the church, etc. Your current 70-300 will do just fine outside but in a dark church it might not be fast enough. The D3 does allow you to bump the ISO nicely though without sacrificing much IQ so you might be able to get away with the 70-300. Still most of your photos will be done with the 24-70 and maybe some with the 50mm.</p>