20D vs. 40D vs. 300D + Lenses

<p>Hey Everyone - </p>

<p>I found a couple of deals and wanted to know your opinion.<br>

Refurbished 20D + 18-55 (non-IS) for $499<br>

OR<br>

Refurbished 40D + 28-135 IS for $799<br>

OR<br>

Keep my old, janky 300D (Original Rebel) and invest in some lenses. (85 1.8 and Tokina 11-16 2.8)<br>

Right now, I have a 24-105L IS and 50 1.8. I figured if I go with the 40D I could sell off the 28-135 for a couple hundred. Purchasing the body only on either of the 40D and 20D is not an option.</p>

<p>I shoot mainly headshots/portraits and do travel or documentary photography. I figure I can always rent lenses for specific occasions, but my 300D is soooooo slow and AF is just awful.</p>

<p>What do you think? Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>but my 300D is soooooo slow and AF is just awful`</p>

<p>Funny that, its how my 20d feels compared to the 40D. while IQ is not a big difference, the 40D is a far better to use camera, quicker AF, better LCD (I can read it without specs) LV is ok for landscape and product stuff, picture styles and custom functions, just more to play with :0)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Refurbished 20D + 18-55 (non-IS) for $499</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not a deal, it's a robbery.</p>

<p>40D will be really sweet after 300D, responsiveness is from another planet, seriously. :)</p>

<p>So - does NO ONE think I should stick with the 300D and stock up on some lenses + maybe a flash + maybe a nice P&S for lighter travel (G10, SX series)?</p>

<p>Also, if i DO go for the 40D, is that price at $799 something I can't pass up, or is it just an OK deal?</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help!</p>

<p>I would not go back to the 300D for the reasons mentioned byChris JB. Sell it for $200-300, and buy a lens or something. </p>

<p>I almost never shoot with the 20D since getting the 40D. It's for emergency backup only. The 40D is worth the extra price. Besides you can get $200 more for the 28-135 than for the 18-55, so the 40D is only $100 more than the 20D.</p>

<p>If the 28-135 is worth at least $250, youre only paying $550 for a 40D. I would jump at that. Its nearly as good as the 50D, and far nicer to use than the 20D.</p>

<p>I use 20D, my colleague uses 40D. We go regularly shooting together (outdoor). Given that light conditions are the same for both of us, at the end we didn't see significant difference between shots with 20D and 40D.</p>

<p>If you don't like your 300D for your shots, by all means go get something new. But getting that 11-15 f/2.8 Tokina will probably give you more opportunities for nice shots than getting new body.</p>