On my second 40D.. Should I get a third?

cameralogic

<p>I just received the dreaded Error 99 message on my Canon 40D..... I have used the Canon BG-E2N since I purchased it and I took it off yesterday because I'm traveling and wanted a slightly more compact camera to tote. I'm not sure if that is the cause but regardless it is the only cause I can pinpont for this effect.. This is frustrating for me because this is my second 40D. The first 40D had an error within 3 weeks of owning it. I'm starting to doubt if getting <em>third</em> 40D is wise... What would you do? Put your faith in yet another 40D or consider the 50D?</p>

<p>Hmmm, one crash in three weeks. Microsoft would be thrilled with such results. I'm not sure you have a problem. Besides, removing the battery to reboot the camera's computer, is a lot faster than rebooting Vista.</p>

<p>A battery grip can cause Error 99 if they have a bad connection. A bad connection with the battery without the grip can cause it too. Probably the most common cause is a faulty lens though; especially some third party lenses, but even a Canon brand lens can do it if the aperture is sluggish or it has an electrical fault.</p>

<p>Use a Canon brand lens, clean the contacts on the body, lens, and battery, and try it again.</p>

<p>Yeah, only one error in 3 weeks is a freakin' miracle. Alleluia! I guess you hold the bar really high. It is a CPU infested gadget and shit happens. Hell, RFI from a transmitting tower, sunspots or finger goo on a contact could be responsible. Whatever, you're doin' damn well so leave well enough alone. But if it was me, I'd spring for the latest and greatest, so a 50D would be on my front porch by morn. Not any less prone to PRAM corruption by microwave radiation but what the hell you gotta buy shit 'n support the economy.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Hi mate,<br>

I had a 40D, loved it!<br>

As soon as it started showing error message- "cleaning system malfunction" ....i decided...uhuh...canon still havent perfected it. So i sold it.<br>

I am back to my 20D, as reliable as it was when i bought it second hand in 2005 and use a super cheap 350D with grip as a backup. Both haven't missed a beat!<br>

I love my cameras and lenses very much...i always used L lenses with my 40D, 580EX and cameras have never seen any rough treatment ever. Still ....an error message ? Thats not a good sign is it?</p>

<p>Agree with above, 2 bod`s crook, vary rare, lucky you but s**t happens, still you need look for a common denominator. Like yesterday, I`m playin solo when my amp starts varyin volumn up & down like a yoyo, I`m hitting the strings the same but harmony nightmare. leads ok, the fishmans battery lowlight on but that never worried it before, change to axe, same thing. Hmm swap amps? bingo. sometime ya gotta do the dirty work, resemblance? guitar=camera body/leads=all electrical contacts/amps=lenses/foot pedels=grip. Can`t keep goin back to the store till you know the score.:) maybe you undid the grip with cam on?, tried another lens? let us know how you sort it..guess I`m doin the wedding by myself toomorrow..again</p>

<p>What firmware do you have in your 40D? There was a firmware fix for that issue in one of the releases, not sure which one. If your body does not have 1.1.1 - upgrade and your problem will be solved. I had this issue back when I first got the camera and after one of the upgrades never saw it again. </p>

<p>Haha, thanks PF for the morning humor! Dave, unfortunately I just updated the firmwire a few minutes ago and it is still malfunctioning. I use a Canon EFS-17-55 EF-50 and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I packed light and left my grip and other glass back home. How to you reccomend I clean the contacts? I've researched that an eraser is effective? I'll continue troubleshooting and keep y'all posted. Good luck with the wedding, JB.</p>

<p>Erasers do work, but they also rub off some of the surface material. They sell good electrical contact cleaner, but alcohol should work fine. If you decide to use an eraser, be sure to keep the eraser dust out of the camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I had this issue back when I first got the camera and after one of the upgrades never saw it again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You simply <em>cannot</em> say this.</p>

<p>Error 99 is a catch-all error message and it can be caused by any of a number of things, from a loose grip to dirty contacts to a failing shutter (to God knows what else) - and no firmware update on the planet will fix a dying shutter...</p>

<p>To Nathan: I've had a 40D since September 2007, used regularly in all sorts of outdoor conditions, and I haven't had a moment's trouble with it.</p>