First lens?

zeandre_west

<p>Hi! Im starting out in the Wedding photography business- as an assistant to a photographer of course. I use the Canon Eos 1000D, with the 18-55mm lens it came with.<br>

I now want to buy a better lens, with more zoom, etc. thats not too pricey. I would however rather buy the best one i can at the moment, than having to buy a new one soon.<br>

Ive got a budget of about $700, any suggestions? Please!! </p>

<p>Thanks, Z</p>

<p>I think you should buy the 85mm 1.4 and learn how to use it. And I wish someone told me that when I first started instead of me buying all of these unnecessary lenses. Stick with Prime lenses or the 24-70mmL or the 70-200 IS 2.8 L or the 16-24mm L.<br>

I'm going to start shooting in only prime and might sell my 24-70... Thoughts?</p>

<p>There isn't such a thing as "a better lens, with more zoom, etc. that's not too pricey." There are better lenses, but not with more zoom. There are better lenses that aren't too pricey, but not with more zoom.</p>

<p>If you are talking about another better and faster zoom, you will be going backward in the zoom range department, actually. Try a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.</p>

<p>If you are talking about telephotos, a good telephoto zoom is pricey, so you can get by until you have the money, with telephoto primes. The 85mm f1.8 (not 1.4 as Kay lists) is a Canon lens that is superb yet not as expensive as their top of the line.</p>

<p>You could get the Tamron and the Canon 85mm f1.8 for $700 if you are careful and/or buy used.</p>

<p>The 1000D is a crop sensor, no? That would make 85mm too long for primary use. 50mm 1.8 would be a little more versatile imo. Plus it's like $120. Put the other $580 toward the tamron 2.8 so you can get some wider angles and still have some leftover money. </p>

<p>If your sensor is a 1.6 magnification, then the 17-40L f.4 is a good one. If full size sensor, the 24-70L 2.8 is good. Honestly, the 24-70L would be the lens of choice so when all canons have full size sensors, you will be good to go. Also, if you use Canon EOS film cameras,,(,<em>film,,you know, that roll stuff that goes in the back of a camera)</em> you can use it on it also.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!<br>

The Sigma 24-70mm looks promising, any thoughts on Sigma lenses? The Canon is a little out of my range!<br>

Would you suggest I go for the Sigma 24-70 Macro or the 24-70 IF HSM?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/">Fred Miranda</a> is an excellent site for real lens reviews by photographers from around the world. As far as the Sigma, it's a pretty nice lens as long as you get a good copy new or you send it to Sigma for calibration or you have a camera with micro focus adjustment. Mine is now, after a visit to Sigma, tack sharp wide open, sharper than my Nikkors.</p>

<p>Have you consider to discuss this issue with the main photographer and identify how can you work best with him or her.</p>

<p>Per example, the main photographer may have a complete set of zooms (16-36; 24-70; 70-200 all at f/2.8) and you could concentrate on working with primes instead and focus on portraits, details and you main focus could be on low light situations, therefore you may need two primes, such as 28 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.8. In addition, with your budget you could purchase two primes instead of one zoom.</p>

<p>If you need to purchase a zoom, once again the first lens to consider as a first purchase will be a mid-range zoom, such as EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS or EF 24-70 f/2.8 (depending on body use) which are the main lens for most photographers. You need f/2.8 for weddings and those two lens are above your price range, therefore you may look into buying a "used" lens (check the lens very well, before you purchase a used lens). You could find them used within your price range.</p>

<p>In the worst cases, you can just rent the lens for a two or three days and identify which lens will fit your particular wedding style better, instead of making a purchase and realized that a prticular lens does not fit your photographic style. If I was starting as an assistant, I may go this route instead before I decided which lens to buy.</p>

<p>Good luck in your decision.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I use nikon but figured I would answer anyway.</p>

<p>I agree with Kay. When I first began I got the 24-60, 50mm 1.8 and 17-50. I just sold my 24-60. Basically I use<br>

30mm 1.4<br>

50mm 1.8<br>

85 1.4<br>

70-200 2.8 and for 17-50 for wide shots like churches and ceremony sites.</p>