Mamiya 6 dropped, now lens mount won't retract!

nathan_jandl

<p>So I just bought a beautiful used Mamiya 6 several weeks ago and have totally fallen in love with it. Today I was out shooting and had two cameras and a camera bag around my neck. Trying to extricate myself from the three straps when I got home, I somehow lost control of the Mamiya and it tumbled to the carpeted (thank God for that) floor. It landed lens-first, which cracked the (flimsy) 50mm hood right through. Everything else appears unharmed, but now I can't retract the lens into the camera body! I am very distressed about this. I have *gently* tugged and wiggled the lens and mount around, but nothing seems to help. The lens can be removed without any issues. <br>

Anyway, I have two possible repair places to go to, but I'm just curious if this has happened to any of you? Any suggestions?? I'm in Madison, WI by the way, in case you have a favorite repair shop nearby!<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Nathan</p>

<p>Yeah, I don't think I will be happy again until I know it's been checked out and fixed by a pro. An excuse to get it CLA'd too I suppose, though I frankly can't afford ANY of this...<br>

Why oh why didn't the cheapo 35mm body fall instead?!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nathan, in worst case you could be badly disappointed -- your camera could be not repairable. It has pretty fragile protrusions in the casting that are used as rails for the lens retraction. If this protrusion is broken or bent, lens will not click and stop in lower ur upper position, or will not retract at all. I have a body with this defect -- it is only good for parts now. In my opinion, the only place where you could fix this is Mamiya repair center. Unfortunately, casting is one of two spare parts that they don't have anymore in US (another one is famous winding assembly). Other owners reported that they had more luck with Mamiya UK or other European centers.<br>

You could try to find someone locally to open camera and take a look, what is broken or bent. If there is a chance to fix it, but fix require disassembling, send it to Mamiya, local people normally don't have expensive equipment to adjust the camera after complicated repair. You may want to do it any way, it will cost you just shipping, in Mamiya they do not charge money for the inspection, and you could trust them. This is what I did.<br>

If you have this defect, the only way to fix it in US is to find another body for parts and take it from there. Any local repairman or Mamiya shop will do it free of charge, if you leave them leftover parts. Unfortunately, big chance that buying new working body probably will be less expensive. I liked Mamiya 6 a lot, but replaced it by Mamiya 7 -- it is less risky investment, and optics is better, in my opinion.</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Sergei</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Follow up: local repair place didn't feel comfortable doing the job, so they sent it to Mamiya. Just got the estimate back...$381. Ouch. That includes a "full overhaul," however, along with a rangefinder adjustment. It would appear that when Mamiya works on the camera for this kind of problem, they check everything. I truly wish it wasn't going to cost this much, but this will at least give me peace of mind going forward.<br>

Live and learn...and be more careful too!</p>