5D MK II: Loose camera mount?

<p>when I attach a lens to my 5D Mark II it seems to have a little bit of play whne I shift the lens side-to-side, perpendicular to the camera. I even hear a minute clicking noise as the metal of the lens mount hits the female camera mount when I jiggle the lens from side to side.</p>

<p>I first noticed this phenomenon with an old lens that has a stiff focus ring. every time I tried to focus it, it moved the lens from side-to-side on the camera mount and produce a small amount of play and a discernible clicking sound.</p>

<p>Is it normal on Canon 5D Mark II bodies to have a small amount of play on the camera mount? Has anyone tried sifting their lenses side-to-side on the camera to see if they move a little?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Every camera I ever had (except for a couple of screw-mount Pentaxes) had ever-so-slight play in the lens mount. If tolerances were so fine that there wasn't any slight play, what would happen if a tiny bit of grit got on the mount...? The lens wouldn't lock on at all.</p>

<p>What lens are you using Carlos? The EOS mount has a very small intentional rotational play with telephoto and super telephoto lenses but a <strong>tilt </strong> with respect to optical axis is not usual and I have not noticed it with any of my bodies/lenses. The bayonet threads on the mount are machined with very high precision and it is unlikely that you can "hear" any clicking sound due to excessive gap between the threads. If you can, inspect the bayonet threads for some possible damage.</p>