Linhof Technika V

david_wright14

<p>A great friend of my father's recently gave me his Linhof Techinka V. Included in the kit are the camera, top-mounted viewfinder, a 90mm Linhof lens, 150mm Linhof Lens, and a 210 210 Schneider lens.<br>

Questions:<br>

How do I use the rangefinder with different lenses (ie. 90mm, 150mm, 210mm, etc.)?<br>

Does this camera have fall and if so, how do I use it?<br>

Thanks,<br>

David<br>

note: the camera is the same model as the 1 listed in <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/LINHOF-V-TECHNIKA-4X5-VIEW-CAMERA-OUTFIT-XTRAS-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260394932228QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item3ca0bf5804&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50">this eBay listing</a> .</p>

<p>http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tech-manual.html<br>

Research shows that the lenses (specifically the Linhof models) use cams; both of which are included with the 90mm and 150mm. It does not necessarily explain how to use the cams, though. <br>

I understand that they can be added and removed easily, but am I supposed to "lip" them up and have them rest in the track slot? Do I position the lens to a "default" position then? If so, where's this position?<br>

Thanks,<br>

David</p>

<p>You need a different "cam" for each lens. The cam is a triangular piece of metal which may be inserted below the lensboard. They are made for each individual lens and matched for that lens. If your camera lacks them you may get them through HP Marketing, at 800 735 4373.</p>

<p>To use the rangefinder you three separate cams for each lens, and they are specific to each lens SN, if you want to be very precise; though, generic cams for each given lens kind of works. And yes the camera has about 20mm of fall if you drop the bed and tilt the lens to maintain parallel lines, or you can mount the camera upside or on its side to get more "fall". Search the net for a manual, there are some online things...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You should have a cam for each lens which should have the serial number of the specific lens stamped on each cam for the camera to focus properly through the entire focusing range. The cams fit into a holder beneath the focusing track. To install one put the front standard into the camera housing and extend the focus track until the cam is exposed. Cams pull out and push into the cam holder. make sure the cam follower rests on the cam before bringing the focusing track back.</p>

<p>Each lens also has an infinity stop. Your camera should have one set for each lens. Lift the folded stop you want to use up and all the others down. Pull the front standard out till it rests against the proper infinity stop.</p>

<p>You should also have a focusing scale for each lens you want to use.<br>

The front has rise only. To use fall you unscrew the large knob under the camera housing and remove the accessory shoe on top of the camera. that exposes a tripod socket on the top of the camera. Mount the camera upside down on the tripod and what was rise is now fall.<br>

The Multifocus Viewfinder can not be used when doing any type of camera movement like a tilt/shift, swing or fall.<br>

If you have further questions you can call me during working hours, 9 - 5 EST at 800 735-4373 M-F.</p>

<p>You don't need to turn the camera upside down to get lens fall. Turn the camera through 90 degrees and use the shift (sideways lensboard movement), or drop the baseboard and tilt the lensboard backwards, then use the rise to lessen the amount of fall. See section "L" of the manual linked to above. <br>

Fall can also be simulated by tilting both the lensboard and the camera back backwards by the same amount and tilting the whole camera downwards.</p>

<p>BTW, Linhof never actually made lenses, they simply rebadged them. The lenses you've got are probably a 90mm Schneider Super Angulon and a 150mm Rodenstock Sironar, although Linhof stuck their "coat of arms" on other lenses too. You should really find out exactly which 90 and 150mm lenses you've got.</p>

<p>"Linhof never actually made lenses, they simply rebadged them"</p>

<p>No, they tested them and the ones that passed had the Linhof logo added to the lens. They didn't "rebadge" them. That would be the same a private labeling. There were lenses that were sold under the Linhof name such as the 270mm Portrait lens of the 70's and the the lens on the Linhof 220. Those lenses did not show a lens manufacturer's name so they would be private label or "rebadged". But the OP lenses are most likely showing both the lens manufacturer and the Linhof names on them.</p>

<p>I have cams for both the 90mm and 150mm. <br>

In the picture, the 90mm lens is attached with the 90mm cam. Is the cam in the correct position?<br>

Also, you'll see in the picture that the track is pushed back as fas as it can go, but the line does not even line up with the 90mm measurements on the side. Is this somehow incorrectly positioned? It doesn't make sense because with the current positioning it's impossible to make them even line up.<br>

Thanks for the continued help!<br>

Dave</p>

<div>00TG6s-131525684.thumb.jpg.f10a7b06b70afa8a25d8fdd392bcfaf9.jpg</div>

<p>Then you can call us to get the current instruction book for the Master Technika. That will give you the specific instructions that you need to operate all of the features of the camera. 800 735-4373. Or you can order it from MQ Camera in Syracuse. Or you can contact Linhof service in the USA at 252 652-4401 for help with cams, infinity stops, focus scales and with a CLA on your camera which is at least 33 years old and probably needs one.</p>

<p>David:<br>

To use the 90mm lens you need to press the rail release and slide it back toward the body until it clicks. Your arrow will subsequently line up. Where is the release? Hold the camera as if to shoot it and look at the far right hand corner where you will see a circular button on a small lever that releases the rail. This lever allows you to either extend the bed for long lenses or to pull it back for the 90.</p>