<p>I am currently using photoshop Cs2. I just upgraded my camera to a Canon 5d mark II but I still want to use my canon 10d as backup. Is there a way to upgrade cs2 so that I can see the raw images for both cameras? When I upgrade the software so that it is compatible with the mark II, it's not compatible with my 10d. Is there a way to get it to work for both?</p>

<p>CS2 Cannot read 5DmII raw files no matter how many times you upgrade it. Only CS4 can read the files. You can download a DNG converter from Adobes website where you will have to mass convert all your 5DmII raw files to DNG files to be able to read them.</p>

<p>CS4 will be able to read both - CS3 will not open 5dMII (just read the compatability chart on adobes website, i have seen it before). I am almost positive CS2 should be able to read your 10D raw files you probably have another issue if you can't open them with CS2. </p>

<p>It's not really a ploy by Canon. They don't make money from the software. Adobe has the ploy, there is no reason they couldn't integrate it into CS3 with a minor update. Adobe at least has a free converter so you aren't forced to buy anything, but it just adds an extra step.</p>

<p>Candace, the DNG convertor is easy to use, and even though I have CS4, I use the convertor anyway... archiving the raw files off the machine and working from the DNGs. It's easy to use, and can be customized, and run with little thought... set your parameters, point to the directory, and go. I usually tend to other things while it runs. Takes just a minute or two.</p>

<p>"Cs2 will read my 10d and not my 5dmII, but if I upgrade, it will only read the 5dmII and not the 10d. So what does the DNG converter do exactly? This stuff is way too confusing!"</p>

<p>I'm not sure where you got the idea that an upgrade will prevent you from opening files from your 10d. As Jon said above, the latest CS4 version of Adobe Camera Raw, ACR 5.3, supports both cameras: <br>

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html</p>

<p>"Cs2 will read my 10d and not my 5dmII, but if I upgrade, it will only read the 5dmII and not the 10d. So what does the DNG converter do exactly? This stuff is way too confusing!"<br>

When I said this, I meant just doing a Camera Raw upgrade and not upgrading to CS4. I have actually upgraded the camera raw and it does not support both cameras. It is one or the other. I'm guessing I need to upgrade to CS4 to do what I need. Thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>Candace-<br>

You do need CS4 (or the latest version of Lightroom or Photoshop Elements) to use Adobe Camera Raw 5.3, which supports the 5D Mk. II. Camera Raw 5.3 also supports the 10D, so you should have no difficulty using it for both cameras. How did you do your upgrade of Camera Raw (and to which version)?</p>

<p>Sam,<br>

Thanks for clearing that up. I did so many different upgrades I can't remember which ones I tried. None of them worked so I went back to what I had originally. <br>

So another quick question: Adobe is offering a discount right now, if you by CS4 you can get Lightroom 2 for 30% off. Do I need both or will CS4 be sufficient?</p>

<p>I don't use Lightroom, but many people do, and apparently find it extremely helpful for organizing and managing images, along with more basic editing and batch processing, so it probably wouldn't hurt at all to have both Lightroom and Photoshop available. </p>

<p>One more thought - as soon as you install CS4 you'll probably need to upgrade it also (I know that's probably the last thing you'll want to hear) to get the latest Adobe Camera Raw version. Just in case you haven't done it this way, the easiest way to upgrade Photoshop is to go to the Help menu and select "Updates".</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I just purchased a new computer running Vista 64 bit. Also upgraded to CS4. I will be using both the 64 and 32 bit versions of Photoshop because the Nik filters I like to use are not supported in 64 bit. My question is this, do I need to install the Camera Raw 5.3 upgrade in both versions of CS4?<br>

Thanks.</p>