Problem with print

<p>I just printed out an image with my canon pixma 9500 on hahnemuhle fine art pearl. The print has a number of horizontal lines (as in along the direction of paper feed for the printer) comprised of what appear to be single white dots, evenly spaced, about 15 per inch. </p>

<p>The print is 300dpi so 15 evenly spaced dots per inch does not produce a glaringly negative effect but it's still quite noticeable if you look very closely.</p>

<p>There are maybe 30 or so of these dotted lines on this 11x17 inch print.</p>

<p>Any ideas what could be causing this?</p>

<p>Dirty print head? (not seeing these lines on other/smaller prints though)</p>

<p>Is it possible that since there's not enough pixels in the original image to print this size at 300dpi without extrapolating that the software is fudging the extrapolation and producing blank pixels? (using Lightroom)</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Mike</p>

<p>Mike- Check your printer setup to see if you can adjust your platen gap. The paper you've chosen just may be a bit too thick for the normal setting, and you've described what sounds lilke the classic pizza wheel marks. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Gary- </p>

<p>I checked old prints made on different paper and couldn't find any evidence of this issue. but now, after printing on the fine art pearl, when I print on a regular flimsy canon printer I'm getting evidence of the same issue- just not as noticeable as on the fine art pearl.</p>

<p>Also... I've noticed two new characteristics. The marks are in the same place on every print, and in line with the white marks on the print are similar tiny ink marks on the unprinted border of the print.</p>

<p>Is all this still pointing toward the platen gap idea?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help guys!</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Gary- </p>

<p>I checked old prints made on different paper and couldn't find any evidence of this issue. but now, after printing on the fine art pearl, when I print on a regular flimsy canon printer I'm getting evidence of the same issue- just not as noticeable as on the fine art pearl.</p>

<p>Also... I've noticed two new characteristics. The marks are in the same place on every print, and in line with the white marks on the print are similar tiny ink marks on the unprinted border of the print.</p>

<p>Is all this still pointing toward the platen gap idea?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help guys!</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Mike- I think so. Open the top of your printer(s) while a print is going thru, and then check to see if the marks are in line with the printer's pizza wheel. That should clinch it. And, is the 2nd print smaller on the page, leaving room for inky pizza wheel marks in the margin? If that all seems to be the case, set the platen gap a bit wider and see if that doesn't clear it up.</p>