FF or APS-C....Some Thoughts

mountainvisions

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Mis, I have heard of that place, but have never thought to rent any pentax glass. But here where I live, there are tons of places that rent canikon lenses, but not a single one has pentax glass for rent...</p>

<p>On a side note, I took out my D700 on tuesday to capture some cinco de mayo pics and was impressed even more by how much I could see out the view finder. It is so cool to be able to see what I am shooting. I really hope Pentax does address that and I will then by the K7 and sell my K20D's. If it is the same view finder, I will pass on the K7...Another thing. By default I have my K20's set on burst mode even though I rarely will take more than one shot. I tried hat with the D700 and got three or four frames, so I had to set it back to a single shot. It is like an AK47.....</p>

<p>Lindy<br>

Few of us like to be across multiple systems. Its fair enough to say that most advanced amatuers are locked into one system. Sure I knew what I was doing when I bought EF-S lenses and a FF camera and I am not blaming Canon for my purchases.<br>

But I can't see why its my fault that Canon made them incomatible, when all other manufacturers chose to keep some semblance of comaptibility. It was a dumb decision by them that made their system less attractive overall.<br>

No one is pretending using APS-C glass on FF cameras is an ideal solution. This is just a straw man argument. The issue is whether compatibility is helpful.</p>

<p>I hear you Geoff, its a bummer about EF-S lenses not being usable on full frame or 1.3x crop APS-H. Worse yet, you'll need about $800 after you sell 10-22mm & acquire 16-35mm 2.8 II.</p>

<p>The 16-35mm II and 70-200mm 2.8 IS were my first two canon eos lens purchases ever last spring when I only had an EOS3 film body. You may not know this but your EF-S glass will not work on any eos film body either. Then a few months later I added a 5D when local proshop ditched their killer film developing special. No regrets skipping 20D, 30D, 40D, & now 50D. I considered each and every one, hands on. I'm glad I used Pentax K Mount to serve my crop needs via numerous used lenses I've picked up last 7 years. K20D is a very nice camera. In fact its gets well deserved Flagship title. But its 2009. Who knows where my loyalties will lie in a couple years? Adding a D700 to the bag this past January certainly gives me much more to consider. At some point I'd really like to streamline my system while the dslrs still have some recoverable value.</p>

<p>That all said I have no regrets with Canon, Nikon & Pentax in my kit. I can think of personal gripes for each brand but If I ever grab the wrong lens, like eos or pentax to use on my D700 then thats'a mybad.</p>

<p>Lindy</p>

<p> </p>