Selecting the right TLR

edgars_kalnins

<p>Well I like the extra assurance and I think of myself as a collector as well (would prefer to be a better photographer but have to admit I get a kick out of just handling the stuff!). So far apart from DSLR I have acquired only an old zenit :D </p>

<p>There are no guarantees in life. But I can tell you - no matter what amount you finally will spend - if you use a camera under the aspect of the future value, you never will make a good picture and the camera's worth is zero. Forget the future, shoot now and here! Otherwise everything you will get will be frustrating to you.</p>

<p>The fact that Rolleis resale value went up and up for a number of years allowed me to keep trading up in model and condition. I went through several cameras and made money every time I sold one. Now I have the two outstanding Rolleis. Unfortunately I don't think the resale value is going up anymore. Knowing a camera has good resale value makes the decision to get it much less a gamble. Who wants to buy a new Hasselblad or Rolleiflex when you can get a good used one that has a resale value close to the cost? <br>

I think it is silly to think or to claim that a person who is concerned with resale value can never make a good picture. That is some sort of personal mythology boost. I agree though that you must have affinity for your camera.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>Had the C330 and 330F when they were sold new. Now, have the C220. If, you want a good TLR, get the 220. It is lighter than the C"3" series TLRs. Buy a grip holder for it. A great somewhat normal lens is the 105DDS. They are not that difficult to learn. No more difficult than learning a 35 manual SLR.The 330 was my first good medium format camera. Having grew up on the old Kodak Brownie Hawkeyes.<br>

Years ago, when I would go someplace to shoot photos, the zoo, etc. Others would have their 35 SLRs,I'll be there with my C330.</p>

<p>I have already spent on photography more than my wife thinks is enough :), that is one of the reasons I have to count my pennies and justify every buy in my own eyes as well. I think D Purdy put it the best way. I have used couple of DSLRs and more lenses, but I keep selling the ones I use rarely to buy the ones I discover to be more suitable.<br>

I am now trying to hunt down Mamiya TLR with S lenses, especially the 105mm DS. Looks like C330s with 80mm S can be bought around £250 on ebay. I have read that c220 screen can not be changed, how does it compare to c330 one?</p>

<p>In Germany, the money is also not growing on trees. But buying with the only focus of an after usage period is the wrong attitude and will cost you at least much more than anything else: the fun and satisfaction with your new "old" cam. Is it that worth??</p>

<p>Specially us Germans is rumored to be work harder than any other peoples for our old-age pension. What sense does that makes nowadays? No fun - only work & all the money gone?! Think about it!</p>

<p>By the way the Mamiya is an excellent choice. In a time where everybody hold its cam one meter away from its body and try to view a tiny screen, you are standing with something between a tube-radio and a toaster in front of your belly and get 100x better pictures than all the digital fools, spent similar amount and have so much more pleasure. Your wife will also love you for that, because you are a more balanced and luckier than before ;-))</p>

<p>"The fact that Rolleis resale value went up and up for a number of years allowed me to keep trading up in model and condition."</p>

<p>How does that work if the model you're trading up to us also rising in value?</p>

<p>Anyway, don't forget the Minolta Autocord. It has an excellent lens and the ergonomics are very nice. Just be aware that the models with Ctizen lenses are easier to service.</p>

<p>The C220 screen can not be changed. But, I have never found that to be a problem with focusing. The knob wind cameras, C2, C22, and C220 are more reliable, than, those that have a film winding crank. Such as the C330. I have found cameras with a film winding crank, being more complicated. Are, more prone to jamming. But, they are excellent cameras. The C330 cocks the shutter automatically. Except, for the 250 and an old 80mm. The C220, the shutter has to be cocked manually.</p>

<p>I have a 2.8f with a Planar. I think much of the problem with the photos you see on Flickr! is just poor tecnique. A lot of people on other forums like to suggest that you can take sharp photos at 1/30th and 1/15th because there is no movement. By properly using the Rolleiflex, the results surpass or are on par with any other medium format camera. As far as reliability, my shutter is dead accurate and everything moves without resistance. I doubt the built in light meter is spot on, but I use a hand-held digital light meter. If you cannot afford a Rolleiflex, I would recomend buying a Rolleicord from Harry Flenor and getting done whatever work he says needs gotten done on it.</p>

<p>A good working Rolleiflex TLR is at least so capable of producing high quality images as a Hasselblad!<br>

Of course, the Rollei has more limitations (lack of lens interchangeability...), but also some serious advantages (silent shutter, size, usually lower price...).<br>

Both share fantastic optics and great engineering.<br>

I have been using both brands for decades with very satisfying results.<br>

I also used a Mamiya C 330 for some time, many years ago, but I sold it. A very capable camera, but too bulcky for my taste...<br>

Last end, it is the photographer who takes more responsability for the success or failure of an image.<br>

Cameras are just tools.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Rui Morais de Sousa<br>

<a href="http://ruimoraisdesousa.blogspot.com/">AL-MOST-LY PHOTOGRAPHY</a></p>

<p>A good working Rolleiflex TLR is at least so capable of producing high quality images as a Hasselblad!<br>

Of course, the Rollei has more limitations (lack of lens interchangeability...), but also some serious advantages (silent shutter, size, usually lower price...).<br>

Both share fantastic optics and great engineering.<br>

I have been using both brands for decades with very satisfying results.<br>

I also used a Mamiya C 330 for some time, many years ago, but I sold it. A very capable camera, but too bulcky for my taste...<br>

Last end, it is the photographer who takes more responsability for the success or failure of an image.<br>

Cameras are just tools.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Rui Morais de Sousa<br>

<a href="http://ruimoraisdesousa.blogspot.com/">AL-MOST-LY PHOTOGRAPHY</a></p><div>00THk5-132483584.jpg.bd002ecd92c2bfa03327e6653c2369db.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>After spending some time bidding for Mamiya TLR and ending second to the winner for a few times I at last bought a Rolleiflex Plannar 3.5 E for £360 from an online camera shop with 3 months warranty. seems like a good deal, only the slow speeds are incorrect. I will try this one out and see if i am happy with the results and it does not need a CLA. I am also putting together a Mamiya RZ67 kit.</p>