Travel Bag for Mamiya M645 1000s & 3 Lenses

Aoresteen

<p>I'm putting together a Mamiya M645 1000s travel kit (3 lens) and I need a camera bag to hold it all. Here's what I'm taking:<br>

Mamiya M645 1000s body with standard prism (4 x 5 x 6.5 inches)<br>

35mm N lens w/caps with 77mm yellow & 77mm skylight filters (2.5" tall)<br>

55mm N lens w/caps with 58mm yellow, 58mm Skylight filter, 58mm lens hood (2.5" tall)<br>

110mm f/2.8 lens w/caps with 58mm yellow, 58mm skylight filters, 58mm lens hood (3.5" tall)<br>

cable release<br>

lens cleaner & tissue<br>

Sekonic L508 lightmeter<br>

2 ea spare AA batteries<br>

1 ea PX28 spare battery<br>

5 rolls 120 film<br>

Notebook & pen<br>

Any recomendations for a compact sholder bag? I have some Domke bags and like them but would like your opinion on a bag for the 1000s and 3 lenses. I live in Orlando, Florida. My budget is around $150.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Anthony.<br>

I'd suggest making a trip over to Colonial Photo, Harmon or any other local shop. Bring your gear and take a look at what they have in stock. You might find something that works well for you. The interior dividers can often be moved or removed as needed to customize the interior fit to your specific gear.</p>

<p>I have a similar kit with a Mamiya Super body and a couple of extra backs. It all fits neatly into a Lowepro mini trekker backpack style bag with some room to spare.</p>

<p>Your 1000s and prism is considerably heavier than the Super, so I wouldn't want the weight of that lot on one shoulder for long. A backpack style bag can be slung over one shoulder for quick access or strapped on properly for longer treks.<br>

IME, most "box-shaped" shoulder bags aren't very space efficient and you'd need quite a large and cumbersome one to carry everything you've listed above. However secondhand shoulder bags seem quite plentiful and I've never paid more than the equivalent of $20 US for a "name brand" one and about $5 US for anonymous ones. The quality of padding and stitching seems about the same regardless of price.</p>

<p>I have a Domke Little Bit Smaller bag that I bought for this same purpose. At the time, I had a 1000s with metered prism, a 45mm 2.8 (newer with 67mm filter threads), an 80 2.8 and 150 3.5. I kept the camera in the bag with one lens always attached, and the other two lenses in Zing neoprene pouches clipped to the D-ring on one side of the bag. That way if I accidentally disgorged a spare lens while pulling the camera out of the bag, the spare lens wouldn't fall to the ground. The bag also has two zippered pockets and one exterior slip pocket for film, a LensPen, and of course candy bars. I got rained on a few times, and the bag kept the contents dry. The metal clips are probably more difficult for pickpockets to manipulate, although in Italy I always kept the bag slung around to my front, with my arm over it. I also cut off the Domke label to avoid advertising the contents. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>In Italy, huh? ... !</p>

<p>LowePro also makes fine small, soft bags, that offer a tiny bit more than the rather spartan Domkes.<br>

Have a look at a LowePro Stealth Reporter 300 or 400.</p>

<p>They also have a zip, which could help to ease your mind, should you ever visit Italy. ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks all!<br>

If I used a 58-77mm stepping ring I'd have to carry a 77mm wide angle shade and a 77mm short tele shade. No space savings there.</p>

<p>The body & 35mm lens are in storage in Atlanta. I will pick them up in mid-May. Once I have all items in Orlando I will stop by Colonial Photo and do some 'test fittings'.</p>

<p>Weight? I got back from Iraq last year where I carried 65 pounds of body armor, ammo, water, etc. all day long. A Mamiya M645 1000s & 3 lens is a piece of cake! It's also a lot lighter than my Cambo 23SF 6x9 view, or my Hasselblad lenses. My 50mm f/2.8 F lens is a lead rock! It's all relative.</p>

<p>As Gary said, the AA batteries are for the Sekonic meter.</p>

<p>I will take a look at the Zing pouches & the LowePro bags.</p>

<p>Domke Bags are definitely the way to go. I own about 6 of them. Different sizes. I generally wear them "backwards"....meaning the flap opens away from me rather than towards me. Provides easier access to insides, and helps prevent wandering hands from strangers. I keep one clip attached, and the other undone. Once the camera is out, this makes getting at the other lenses very fast. No clips to unattach, just flip open the unattached side and half the inside of the bag is accesible easily. Which would fit your stuff...I'd probably go with the F-2. I have my Mamiya 645, 4 lenses (1 on the camera), power winder on cam, AE Prism Finder on cam, extension tube set, 3 insert cases for preloaded film inserts, couple more rolls of film as a habit.........and still room for couple polarizing filters, Sekonic 508 meter, cable release, travel guides, wallet, keys, cleaning kit as needed.....or desire to carry all that crap. That is the one thing about Domke bags......you can overstuff them quite easily to the point of breaking your shoulder........heh.</p>

<p>Granted, the padding is minimal, but that's not what a BAG is really all about. A bag is about tranportation and easy access. PROTECTION of equipment is what Pelican cases are about. There is NO bag that if dropped from 5 feet that can guarantee protection of equipment. Drop a Pelican from 5 feet......equipment safe as can be. As far as what protection a Domke bag does offer...I've bumped my Domke's into more door jams than I care to admit...nothing has ever broken due to it.</p>

<p>Domke's, even the newer ones, will last a long long time. My oldest is 10 years old and it still is totally functional. Other bags...well, lets put it this way, I worked in a major NYC camera store in the bag department. I saw which brands lasted on the display shelves, and which ones had to be replaced periodically. I never saw the Domke guy replace a bag except when he needed room to introduce a new product. I can't say that for other bags.</p>

<p>What you need is a Billingham Hadley and nothing else! The bag does not look too much like a camera bag, is light, especially compared to Lowepro bags (though I see that weight is not a real issue for you) but above all, the bag looks small and is comfortably to carry. Though looking small, it provides ample space for your kit.<br>

In my Hadley (original) I carried with ease a Hasselblad 500 series camera with attached lens and back, 2 and somtimes even 3 other lenses (a 250mm is no problem), another back, a polaroidback, a few rolls of film, some filters, and a Sekonic lightmeter. The Hadely is the bast (made) bag I have ever owned. Get a canvas one, much nicer material than the nylon other bags are made of.</p>

<p>I have three Domke bags: F2, F1X, and the F6. I have just about all the inserts. I am leaning toward another Domke but QG pointed out the LowePro Stealth Reporter bags and I'm gonna go see one in person.<br>

Thomas, I appreciate you long post. My F2 bag is in Atlanta (filled with OM gear right now) and when I pick up the 1000s I'll will try out my F2.<br>

I also have the waist-level finder for the 1000s and I will put it in my suitcase for the days I won't need the prism for vertical shots. It really lightens up the camera!</p>

<p>I wish I had a canvas sewing machine as I would go buy a few yards of canvas and make my own 'Domke' stlye bag that fit the 1000s the way I want it to.</p>

<p>Frank,</p>

<p>The Hadley bags seem too narrow. The Mamiya M645 1000s measures 4x5x6 inches and the widest Hadley is 3.75" wide. With the insert installed, it seems to be too small for the 1000s. </p>

<p>FWIW the Hasslebald body measures about 3.75" x 3.75" which is smaller than the 1000s.</p>

<p>Thanks Sam!</p>

<p>I visited the Crupler site and boy does it suck. It has a lot of very cute flash stuff but I couldn't find any MEASUREMENTS at all. Strange for a BAG company. </p>

<p>Here's what they say the DEMENSIONS are:</p>

<h3>DIMENSIONS</h3>

<p>A fully padded photo bag with 8 x configurable dividers. A shoulder bag that provides a protective environment for your photo and or video equipment that doesn't scream "photo bag!"</p>

<p><!-- reviews -->Are you kidding me? </p>

<p>So I sent them an email asking about it.</p>

<p>Well, I tried it this afternoon and the 645 fits the Billingham Hadley easily. Fitted with a metering prism, the camera fits vertically, same as I used to carry my Hasselblad. The lenses can be put on either side or even on top of each other. Once again, I can only advice you this bag. Mine is going back to Ladakh in about 2 months with my Fuji GW670III and a Sekonic L758d meter and some filters.</p>

<p>Thanks Frank!</p>

<p>Looks like I have some nice choices in bags; I just have to narrow it down some.</p>

<p>Good luck on your trip to Ladakh! I've always wanted to visit that area of India. Should be a great place for pictures.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>I have a domke bag and use it for my 35 mm when I take it out of my Lowe Pro that carries my Mamiya prism, extra film back, cable release, 50mm lens 80mm Macro and 120mm Mamiya gear. The Domke bag I use for the 35 body and lens previously mentioned,60mm Maco and all sorts of assorted 'stuff' that I use for both systems. Now after rambling quite a bit I mean to say that the Domke, while very well made and shoulder mounted will carry my Mamiya gear butit is not easy to get to and the depth seems to waste alot of space in the bag that could be used to better purpose. All in all, I prefer to carry the ehole kit and kabudle in the LowePro trekker which of course is a back pack style carrier and must be taken off for accesss to gear. When you find the perfect bag, be sure to post it here as I would love to own it. Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, I haven't had my coffee yet.</p>