Good travel SLR?

Ian Rance

<p>I have done research but am still at a loss. I will be doing some travel this year - in the UK and abroad (Ukraine) and I am struggling to rationalise what to take.</p>

<p>Lenses I want to take are - 18-35mm, 24-85mm, 70-200mm and the 50mm AF-S for low light. I want to take my 20mm, 85mm and 200mm MF primes as well. What I want is a light SLR that:</p>

<p>Drives AFS, drives VR, works G lenses, meters with manual lenses and is not too heavy. I have a choice to take my F6 which fits some of these requirements but if I am out for the day it is too heavy to carry everywhere (sore neck) and if it were to be stolen abroad I would be very upset.</p>

<p>Is there a smaller (and cheaper) SLR that meets these requirements or is it not worth worrying and take something like a P&S in the L35AF style and just forget the SLR altogether? I have a couple of old MF SLR's that I could sell to help with funds.</p>

<p>I have held off my film order until I get this sorted.</p>

<p>Thank you for any guidance.</p>

<p>I think a Nikon F100 would fit the ticket nicely. It is small, light, packed with modern features and rugged. In many respects, it performs as well as the venerable F5, and is more user-friendly. The F6 is hardly larger and only a little heavier (sans the battery grip), so that would be my first choice if I had one. We're talking about a 2# camera accompanied by 20# of lenses - big deal.</p>

<p>Any camera is a candidate for theft - even a point-and-shoot. That's why we buy insurance and have a backup.</p>

<p>Thanks Edward. Does the F100 drive VR?</p>

<p>I forgot to add that I would not be taking all those out at once - just one or two at a time. It is tempting to take slower zooms, but they make for low shutter speeds and one trip especially is going to be very special and I want to get it right.</p>

<p>I suppose taking the F6 is a good idea - life is too short to worry about things being stolen.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Huge difference between slrs and P&S, but if theft and weight is an issue the L35AF or the L35AWAF are my always in my pocket or in the car cameras. The latter one loves the beach or poolside too.<br>

Obviously limited to one focal length, 35mm @ 2.8 but the lenses always surprise me with the quality they produce as does the AF (no MF if that's important). Simple but very decent.<br>

The F100 is fine with VR and G lenses.<br>

Jim</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Drives AFS, drives VR, works G lenses, meters with manual lenses and is not too heavy"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Those requirements (particularly in combination with metering with manual lenses) limit you to only 3 film bodies if my memory serves correctly: F100, F5, F6. If the F6 is "too heavy" for a long day, then the F5 is certainly out.</p>

<p>That leaves you with the F100 and F6. The F100 is approximately 200g lighter than the F6, and yes it drives VR.</p>

<p>Ian,<br>

My very strong suggestion is that you make sure your F6 is adequately insured and to take that. Everything else will feel like a cheap let down at best or be even more burdensome (F5).<br>

You own the best SLR ever made so you owe it to yourself to use it on holiday!</p>

<p>All the best,</p>

<p>James</p>

<p>What about a Nikon F75.. You cant use the MF Primes but on a holiday I wouldn't want to be swapping primes lenses much.. just keep that 24-85 on and you should be set for most things and swap your other zooms as needed.</p>

<p>On holiday I just take my 18-200 VR on my DSLR.. and a low light 50mm 1.4 ais and the 12-24 wide angle.. I still find that the 18-200 stays on 99% of the time.</p>

<p>What about getting a Tamron 28-300 VC(VR) instead ? and your 50mm? and the wide zoom? Much lighter kit to take on holiday... and you can take a few of your primes as well. too</p>

<p>Why film? Traveling and shooting digitally would likely work very well. I know I'll never travel with film anymore because digital gets me there easier...</p>

<p>And why small? You're brining the 70-200, that's not exactly small...</p>

<p>I'd get a D90. But I'd also travel with fewer lenses. I also find that my 18-200 stays on my camera when I travel nearly all the time.</p>

<p>If the F6 is heavy for you, the F100 is not going to be much better.</p>

<p>My suggestion would the Nikon F80/N80 and only AF lenses. The F80 works with G, VR etc.</p>

<p>Its very small, light, cheap, quiet (amazingly so), and the AF is pretty good.</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity, where in the UK you going?</p>

<p>R</p>

<p>Thanks for the input.</p>

<p>Tze, I have the 28-200 and it is a nice lens BUT it has heavy distortion (mainly pincushion) and although it is great for some scenes, it does spoil some with its waviness. I will look into the Tamron 28-300, but I fear it may have distortion as well.<br>

Peter, I want to bring the 70-200 because it is great for isolating things in cluttered areas and getting results that make carrying it worthwhile. I just wish it were half as heavy! Yes, I like the sound of the 18-200, but I don't have a digital SLR yet - have a P&S Fuji though.</p>

<p>James, thinking about it I do think an insued F6 is the best - you are right. Short of buying a camera nearly as heavy (F100), there is nothing quite what I need.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>So Ian,</p>

<p>Maybe this is the time to buy a DSLR? How big do you print? I think a D90 (or, heck, even a D5000, which can handle your AF-S lenses, but not focus with your AF-screwdriver ones) would be GREAT on a trip like this.</p>

<p>Ask yourself what you'll be spending on film.</p>

<p>If you must shoot film, and have an F6, that's what I'd bring.</p>

<p>I've used the Tamron 28-300 and dislike it a lot, btw... but that's me.</p>

<p>Sorry Rob - missed your question. I like in the UK (Hertfordshire) but I am going to stay in Dorset (West Bay) for 10 days and also 7 days exploring Ukraine (train journey and walking a few cities).</p>

<p>Peter, I print 5x7 with some A4 and a occasional A3. DSLR are very expensive at the moment (used D300's are 1000 UK Pounds). I look at them, but the cost is really prohibitive what with the cost of everything going up. I got my F6 in 2007 only after doing overtime and saving up. I had wanted a F6 since they were launched. Perhaps if the D700 had existed then I might have had that....<br>

In my local towns, phographic equipment is blisteringly expensive apart from film and processing which is the same as 2,3 or 4 years ago. That was why I was asking - to see if I could get a 'cheap option', but I think I will just insure the F6 and lenses.</p>

<p>Jordan, thank you for the link.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>For my travel work I've had great luck with small FM2s and a few prime lenses. To play devil's advocate, I might suggest considering your lens list. It's been my experience that less is more when traveling. Less to lose, less to carry, less to fiddle about with, all which, for me, results in more successful shots.</p>

<p>Otherwise, the F6 you have sounds like what you need.</p>

<p>Safe and good travels :)</p>

<p>If you dont like the 28-200 nikkor, you probably wont like the 28-300 lol .. </p>

<p>You are a strange cookie though .. with your choice of camera and lenses for a holiday. LOL</p>

<p>Still, since you have fun doing things your way. then, thats just great! Keep it up ! Have a great, safe trip!</p>

<p> I sould consider getting an extra shoulder if U are going to be carryin all that equipment. LOL !</p>

<p> Seriously, I'd get only 3 lenses and a digital body like a D50, D80 or something like that. U don't need more than 10 MP to go and to be honest, it's better to enjoy the place while travelling light.</p>

<p> Cannis</p>

<p>The Nikon N80 is a fantastic compact but well-featured modern film SLR. It has dedicated external buttons for the most important settings such as metering and focus modes. It's very light but surprisingly robust and handles well. I took two to Hawaii last year (one loaded with Portra and one loaded with Provia) and they did very well for me. They can be found on eBay for under $100 in like new condition. </p>