5D Mark II with original 580EX I

daniel_hopper

<p>Hi All</p>

<p>My first post! I recently purchased the 5D Mark II and have so far used it on a work assignment in Rome. The camera is fantastic and I was even able to shoot in the Vatican Grotto (Scavi) with all the tombs of the Popes without flash and handheld with great results. Even at ISO 3200, the noise was completely acceptable.</p>

<p>Anyway, I envisage that there will be times that I will require a flash. A friend of mine has offered to sell me his 580EX Mark I for an amazing price, and you know how it is, the camera has already set me back quite a bit, so if I can save some money that would be great.</p>

<p>I was wondering whether anyone could advise on the useability of the 580EX Mk I on the 5D Mark II? Will it work fine or should I be shelling out the extra bucks for the 580 EX II? What are the major differences and how critical are they?</p>

<p>Thank you to you all in advance. I've been reading your great posts for years now and I'm so glad that I've finally got on board as a contributor.</p>

<p>Cheers<br>

Dan</p>

<p>I have a 5D Mark II with a pair of 580 EX I flashes and one 580 EX II flash. Functionally, it's fine with either. I believe the algorithms are the same for E-TTL II metering.</p>

<p>What you don't get with a mark I:<br>

Weather sealing. (For both the the flash and camera)<br>

Silent charging.<br>

A PC sync connector.<br>

Auto Thyristor mode.<br>

Slightly faster recycling.<br>

Slightly higher guide number.<br>

A much better battery door.</p>

<p>I have both and they both work fine. I thing the EX2 is a bit better at locking on the cameras hot shoe ( its a bit quicker and easier to connect ) The EX 2 is also silent where the 1 has that re-charge sound. Both work perfectly and if you have a problem with it ( 1 of mine died and I sent it in ) I believe it was about $120 to refurbish it from Canon. </p>