Help with visiting the Yosemite National Park

ken_lo

<p>I am so excited as I am planning to spend a week at Yosemite taking pictures in early June, and would like to hear opinions from photographers who have done this in the past.</p>

<p>The first thing that I need is to secure a decent hotel room somewhere close to the park. With the bad economy I really don't want to spend too much money on accommodation, preferably no more than $120 per night. My other criteria are close proximity to the park, free internet access, complimentary parking, and clean rooms. I have done a search on priceline, and there are a lot of hotels showing up. While looking at the map the Yosemite Natinoal Park seems to be really big, and many of the hotels are scattered all over the place, and I just don't know how to pick. Many of them are around 30-50 miles from the Village, but I'm not so sure how close they are from the actual scenic spots. In fact, I will be shooting majority of the time early dusks and dawns, and I will probably spend mid-days back at the hotel resting. That's why finding the right hotel is very important.</p>

<p>I will also be ordering some books from Amazon to help me get familiarized with the area, but I'd prefer to secure a hotel booking first. Actually, are there some books that you can recommend me in guiding me through the park with an emphasis on photography in mind?</p>

<p>One more question, do you think spending say two days shooting the nearby Mono Lake is worthwhile, given that I only have a week in total? I really would like to get the best out of this experience, and any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>Ken</p>

<p>When I was there (about 10 years ago, midweek) driving in the park was very slow and crowded and if I ever go back I will leave the car and ride the park service shuttle busses. I don't know how early or late they run. We went to Tuolumne Meadows. If it's a first trip I would photograph all day long, don't limit yourself.</p>

<p>Hi Ken,<br>

I live about 25 minutes from Yosemite Valley in El Portal. The closest accomadations outside of the park to Yosemite Valley are in El Portal. I would look at the Yosemite View Lodge located right on the Merced River. However, it might be more than $120 a night during June which is high season. <br>

Tuolumne Meadows is 1.5 - 2.0 hours from El Portal and should have plenty of snow on the high peaks. <br>

One mistake first time visitors make is trying to see too much in a limited amount of time. What ends up happening is you spend all of your time driving and getting grouchy. Mono Lake and the east side is worth seeing but is over 70 miles east of Yosemite - I'd give yourself at least two and half hours from Yosemite Valley. My favorite time to visit the Mono Lake is the late summer when the rabbit brush is blooming. <br>

Definately give yourself a couple of days to visit Yosemite Valley and yes it will be crowded. Also give yourself to see the high country in Tuolumne Meadows - hike up Lembert Dome or at least Pothole Dome. If you want to see Mono Lake maybe you should book a hotel in Lee Vining. I personally like Murpheys. Eat your meals at Mobile Gas Station located at the junction of 120 and 395. Seriously it is the best food you will have on your entire trip. <br>

If you still can find one, get a copy of Michael Frye's Guide to photographing Yosemite. <br>

Hugh</p>

<p>I live just over an hour from the north entrance and visit often. As beautiful as the Valley is, I too prefer Tuolumne Meadows as it is,to me, just as beautiful and a bit less crowded. If you want to hike a bit there are some short hikes to get away from folks and see some beautiful areas, May Lake and Cathedral Lake are two that come to mind.<br>

The Best Western in Lee Vining is a nice place to stay. I stayed there on a Memorial Day weekend a number of years ago and the rates were resonable. There are some cabins at the Tioga Pass Resort, but I'm sure they are pricey. The food is good there though. I also second the Whoa Nellie Deli at the Mobil Station in Lee Vinihg. Their fish tacos are great.</p>

<p>Yosemite should be a great vacation. I do not live close by but I have been there a couple times this year for day trips. As far as motels go I am not much help but the way I would go about it is with a AAA tour book. You may find the close and ideal accomadations booked up for June already. If I could not find a suitable place close to Yosemite I would look over towards Sonora and make a drive each day.<br />Once visiting the park due to traffic inside the valley you can ride the free bus around the valley floor which can easily consume 1 day. I imagine that 95% of the visitors never leave the valley floor on their trips. There is a pay to ride tram that is nice just for the educational aspect of it. The tour guide explains about how Yosemite was formed and they sometimes talk about rock climbing and it is fun. It also helps you learn your way around the valley floor as the looping roads are a bit confusing. Unfortunately in June the water falls may be slowing down and there was a very poor snow pack this year. The sky will probably be cloudless but frequently clouds form up in the late afternoon. Possible to catch a shower if your lucky or unlucky depending on your view. Other areas of interest around Yosemite is Bodie a ghost town, Columbia a mining town with many shops and Mono lake. Most of Yosemite is seen via hiking. Untold beauty without crowds for the hiker. You can hike up half dome which is a rugged 1 day hike. But most of the park is accessible by hiking and not driving. That is why most of the visitors stay in the valley floor which is one of the most amazing places on earth. Don't forget to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery.</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's advise. As for photography, I shoot medium format, and am planning to bring a 38mm, 50mm, 110mm, and a 1.4x teleconverter. I also have a 250mm telephoto but am not sure if the extra weight is worth it. Anyone can contribute about the lens selection? I also have the Xpan with three lenses for panoramic shots. Do you think I should bring those as well?</p>

<p>Ken</p>

<p>For a first time visitor to the park, I recommend staying in the Yosemite valley. Your options are</p>

<ol>

<li>curry village ($) - This should fit your budget.</li>

<li>yosemite lodge ($$)</li>

<li>ahwanee ($$$)</li>

</ol>

<p>June weekends are going to be crowded, but weekdays should be relatively quieter. Also if you can move your trip up by 2 or 3 or 4 weeks, that would be even nicer, since flow in the water falls usually drop off over these weeks.<br>

I also recommend staying a couple of days visiting Toulumne Meadows (perhaps stay in any of the hotels opposite Mono Lake) but I believe the Tioga road that leads up to these parts usually open only in late June.<br>

Have a fun trip.</p>

<p>I cannot tell you what to bring. I think that Yosemite is definately a place to shoot panoramics. However there are things to shoot with any focal range in square, nearly square or pan. I guess it's your vision.. The last time I went to Yosemite I shot pictures from 12mm to 200mm using my DX camera. I only own 4 lenses so I carry it all but not if hiking. To heavy for me. Of course the tripod has to go regardless if your hiking or not. Have a good trip.</p>

<p>The poor economy may help you secure a room but at this point, it's still possible many accomodations are already booked up.</p>

<p>If you can't get into the valley for lodging, as suggested above, try El Portal. It's just out of the park on the west edge. I'm not sure about the communities on 120 but seem to recall it's about an hour from Mariposa to the Valley. Mariposa (several years ago we stayed at the Mother Lode Lodge, not fancy, not expensive, not "new" but not bad in the off season) may be somewhat less expensive, Wawona and the communities just outside the park on the south entrance are also about an hour, perhaps a little less, to the valley. I'm guessing that this year, the Tioga Road will open comparatively early but there's no date predicted yet on the Yosemite National Park website. You may need to plan around whatever lodging you can find.</p>

<p>Entering from Mariposa/El Portal, you are close to several of the premier viewpoints, Tunnel View just up the road towards Wawona, is one of my favorites. I think it's a better afternoon spot instead of morning (as are some of the other spots around there to get light towards the valley versus back or highlighting when shooting east). The eastern end of the valley is good for shooting towards the west in the morning.</p>

<p>It's a great but sort of long drive from the valley or western area lodging over Tioga Pass. The highlights are in the area from Olmstead Point past Tenaya lake and through Tuolumne Meadows to the pass. The road drops through some spectacular country back down to 395 fairly quickly after leaving the park. This area would be reasonable from Lee Vining but as in reverse, Lee Vining isn't great for visiting the valley area. Two days, with driving to/from the Valley (one night in Lee Vining or nearby) to cover the high country and Mono Lake and Bodie is probably a good spread of driving and time to spend at various areas. Mono Lake is easy to get around, to the visitor center and South Tufa. Bodie is a slow drive, especially after leaving the paved roads after leaving the main highways. Not a really bad road, just not suitable for fast driving.</p>

<p>Another day could be devoted to heading south to Wawona for the big trees and Glacier Point. Glacier Point is a good sunset spot (popular).</p>

<p>If making plans for early rising/sunsets, I'd also suggest being out and about during the day, perhaps with a less strenuous pace, but not holing up inside. Lots of places to relax and just watch the view. One needn't get too far from the road in many places to be relatively alone.</p>

<p>One of the good books is Michael Frye's "The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite." It seems to be out of stock most places but may be back available soon from what some sites suggest.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I've been to Yosemite several times, in all seasons. For a first trip I would suggest you go in late spring; the end of May to the beginning of June. The waterfalls will be at their peak flow due to the snow melt and there will be fewer crowds. Of course weather conditions vary each year, and you will want to make sure that all the roads are open (they don't plow some roads in the winter; the snow fall is too great). The fall is also a great time because of the changing leaves and again fewer people. Most people visit the park in the summer and the traffic can really be quite miserable, but they do have a great shuttle system that will take you around to many of the sites most people want to see. And of course, the most spectacular sites are best seen while hiking. By the end of June it is almost impossible to find lodging within the park itself, unless you plan to camp in the outback.<br>

If you're looking for hotel/motel accommodations close to Yosemite Valley check out this site http://www.tours4fun.com/yosemite-np-park-tours/.</p>